Window Spring Balance Replacements

A home owner from Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316 says:

We need to replace 6 spring balances in our IWC windows, but they are not supplying these any longer.

Can you provide these that will be compatible and at what cost for 6 springs?

The part numbers in the photos are for the original and also for replacement springs, both of which fit. However, if there is a unit that is "one strength less", that might be more suitable since the springs we have tend to lift the window by themselves. They are not "balanced" to the weight of the window, rather they are a bit too strong.

Thank you

David

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 29-13 CMC (29HP 42-43)
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 29-14 CMC
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Spring Balance - Original - 2 springs-1.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Spring Balance - Original - bottom end.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Spring Balance - Original - top end.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting, David! Just to clarify, you only need one type of balance, correct? Based on your pictures, it almost looks like you have two different types. Your last two pictures show a balance setup like our Series 377, however your second photo shows a different kind of shoe. Can you confirm? Are the balances shown in your second picture the replacements you mentioned?

Assuming your last two photos show the original, I'm confident our Series 377 will work. You mention trouble with the spring strength, though. Can you tell me the exact weight of the sash these balances are supporting? That will tell us beyond any shadow of a doubt what strength you need.

A home owner from FL says:

The IWC numbers on the original spring balances were 29-13-HB5 CMC and 29HP42-43. We purchased two replacements from them with P/N 29-14-AL5 CMC that appear to have fittings the same shape. These have 2 concentric springs in each balance.

The Florida hurricane-rated window weight is ~42 lbs. I note that the heaviest weight in the table for the Series 377 (29") #2860 is 32 to 35 lbs.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid those IWC numbers don't mean anything to me, I wasn't able to cross reference them. I just need to make sure we get you the right balance. Will the Series 377 work for you, or did you need something different?

If your sash weight is around 42 pounds, then it will have to be specially made. Would you be able to give us the exact weight? Specially made balances cannot be returned for a refund so it's important we get you exactly what you need.

How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.