Window Spring replacement part request

A handy person from NY says:
Good afternoon. I am looking for the spring piece in this picture, 3 left and 3 right. Window weight is 18 lb when placed on a scale.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We can definitely supply this balance but we need a bit more information before we start. Specifically, can you show me a picture of the pivot shoe to which the springs attach? That acts as sort of a "key" and lets us determine everything else you need.

Here they are. Both left and right.

Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 7.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 9.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Take a look at our 15-111 Pivot Shoe. I think this might be what you need, but you'll need to compare it to your old shoe to confirm. The 15-111 is compatible with our Series 160 Coil Springs. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Thank you. Looking a but deeper I intend to order the 15-191, the heavy duty version.

I need a bit more help with the springs please. I know the window itself is 19 lbs. I also know that the current window set up has 2 springs on each side.

Should I keep it simple and just get 2 springs at 9.5 lbs and install 1ea per side ? Or should I get 4 total springs rated at 5.5 lbs each (a little more than the window total, but it can help overcome some of the window frame resistance ?)
Profile picture of Tom

That's a very good question, and one we get a lot. At the end of the day I don't think it will matter too much. If your sash is exactly 19 pounds then the 9.5 spring is ideal. You would then want our 15-150S single spring support rather than one of the double supports.

Would the four 5.5 springs work? Probably. The window might be slightly harder to close due to the extra strength springs but I think it would be negligible. 

Personally speaking, I'd do what you're thinking and go with two 9.5 springs. That's going against standard protocol a bit but it's the best fit for your sash weight.

Thank you Tom. Order placed.
Profile picture of Tom

Great! Glad to hear it. Let us know how everything works out for you.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.