Window balance

A quick learner says:
The window is vinyl double pain and measures 45 inches wide and 30 inches high. The window weighs 42.2 pounds. It has a number 7 stamped on each of the coil springs. I Need two window balances since the current ones do not hold up the window.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window balance 7.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window balance assembly.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window balance.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

This looks like our 15-180 Pivot Shoe. This shoe uses Series 190 Coil Balances. Can you clarify: does a single window sash weigh 42.2 pounds? If so, you'd need to use three coil balances on each side of the sash: (2) of our S190-840 8 pound springs, and (1) of the S190-540 5 pound springs. This would equal 21 pounds of support on each side of the window sash, for a total of 42 pounds overall--being within one pound of the exact sash weight should work just fine. Just be sure that's the exact sash weight before proceeding. Let me know if you have further questions.

A quick learner says:
Bob,

The single sash that the balances must raise is 42.2 pounds as weighed on a people scale. I had new glass put in and it must weigh more.

I will need two triple spring balances to replace the other balances. Currently the two spring balances have two screws holding them in place. I don't know how many screws will be required to hold the new triple spring balances. Please give me a list of the items I will need to buy to have the triple spring balances to install (both left and right).

Thanks Bob
Mike
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid this balance system can only use two springs per side, Mike. It's simply not designed to use two springs. That's one of the problems with putting in heavier glass on old windows; you might mess up how the balances are designed to work and paint yourself into a corner. The only way you can work around that is to just not put in glass that's heavier than what your balances can support. You really do have to work around them.

The setup I suggested before remains my best suggestion for a 42 pound sash. That works with two springs per side, but like I said you can't add any more than that. Two per side is the most you can do.

I've assembled a list for you on this page that contains all the items you show in your photos.

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.