Window balance replacement

A handy person from Pittsburgh says:
My window balances seem to be these little boxes inside the channel. It looks like they house a ribbon spring or something and it appears that the metal ribbon had broken on one side of the window.
Do you carry this part and how do I replace it? Thanks!

Rich
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190906_191509038.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190906_191539363.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190906_191544064.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190906_191453412.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190906_191528693.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

It looks like you need to replace your coil balance. To recommend replacements, we'll need to see the pivot shoe and coils removed from the window. See the video below for assistance. 

A handy person from Pittsburgh says:
Is this picture helpful? The track does not have a notch for removing the component. Do I need to cut a notch in the vinyl track? This does not seem to match the video you suggested.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190917_163826510.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks! This photo is a huge help. Looks like you have a 15-087 pivot shoe and 15-086 coil housing. These are compatible with the Series 180 coil spring.

Your balance system is a little different from the one in our video. Namely, the spring actually nests inside the pivot shoe itself. That said, the process of removal is more or less the same. You have to remove the sash, bring the pivot shoe up to the top of the window, and then pop it out. If your window has no cutout then you'll have to make one. I recommend watching the video below for clarification. 

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.