Window balance replacement part selection and sash cam

A quick learner from Castle Rock, Colorado says:

I need to replace original Milgard balances and top sashes but I did not find identical matches on the website. I have included pictures (not sure why the rotation changed, sorry), but here are some direct stats:

Non-tilt Milgard Window

Window weight 20 lbs

Balance width: 3/8 inch

Balance Channel: 25 5/8 inch

Balance Stamp: 25 5 BSI p G

Shoe Height: 1/2 inch

I was looking at the Series 800 24c - but they come in full inches, which doesn't match my channel length (25 5/8"). It looks like your shoe height is smaller than my original so I'm guessing the 25" would be my best bet. What one would you recommend?

As for the broken top sash- the dimensions are in the image I included but I did not find a direct match. 18-188 is close, but it is not as deep; but with a little sanding, 18-127 has closer dimensions. Do you carry the Milgard replacement, and just how touchy are the dimensions?

Thanks,

Scott A. 

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Our Series 800 will not replace this. You have a special balance that will have to be specially made. Before we begin, can you show me a picture of the metal clip at the end of the cord? Can you also tell me  how many you need? 

I'm not sure about the top sash guide. I don't know if our 18-127 will work, since the top has tabs on either side. Your photo also doesn't show the placement of the top hole, which is very important. 

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Scott, I might hold off, if I were you. I'm not a custom balance expert, but I think I see what Tom meant. Consider this:

Tom is saying he believes he can customize a nearly exact replacement for your balance. Series 800 is a real stretch, but there is another configuration (which we call "custom") that matches what you need.

The only reason we use the word "custom" is that we put the pieces together in our facility. It uses equivalent components to the old balance, nothing jury-rigged. The "custom" balance is a known design using known parts.

9/16" or so would be the width of the channel (1/2" is nominal and is not the exact measurement) and we would get you an exactly 25-5/8" balance. This is by no means a non-exact recommendation, if I understand Tom correctly. The 5/8"-interval balances are simply old and thus we do not stock them in a pre-assembled form.

Tom will be back in on Monday to check this inquiry out and offer some more insight. Let us know how you chose to proceed and how you make out.

A quick learner from Castle Rock, Colorado says:

Thanks Tom. I went ahead and placed an order for the 18-127 and it did the trick. It was precisely the right size (sans tabs), including the top hole. Disclaimer: (I know you wouldn't recommend it, but I made quick work of the 18-127 tabs with a belt sander...).

As for the balances, before I do something custom, I think I'll try something out. You are absolutely right that the Series 800 will not work. Regardless of the length, it is not a 1/2 inch channel. I'll not waste your time in non-exact recommendations, since that is usually not popular with the legal department.

Thanks for your input and I'll post back what I find so others can learn from my tinkering.

Scott.

How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.