Window balance spring and plastic keepers needed

A quick learner from Ponce Inlet FL says:
I'll be happy to send more pics. Looking for two new springs (window balance) and plastic hardware keeper for left and right side. I measured and got 33 3/4 " spring. These are for a tilt window.
Thank you
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting! Your pivot shoe looks like our 15-045. Your spiral balance, meanwhile, should be either our Series 900 (3/8" diameter  tube) or Series 600 (5/8" diameter tube). I'm afraid I can't make out what your tube diameter is on your photo, but it will only be one of these two options.

Thanks! I looks like I have 3/8" balance spring set up. Is there a left and right side pivot shoe? The opposite side pivot shoe crumbled as I attempted to remove it. Also, since my balance spring is over 33" and less than 34" in measurement, does it matter if I use 33" or 34"?
Profile picture of Tom

Hello! Happy to help. There are no left and right pivot shoes, so the 15-045 will work fine regardless of which side it's on. 

As for the spiral balance, you should be okay rounding up. 34" should be a good replacement option.

Thanks! You've been very helpful.
Profile picture of Tom

It was my pleasure! Let us know how it works out.

After installing the pivot shoes, set the proper tension, the left side window balance tube will make a loud "pop" noise when I close the window completely. Then it completely loses tension on the left side. How tight should the top Phillips head screws holding the tube be? The tighter I screw the Phillips head screws, the more the tube bows out.
Profile picture of Tom

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. That shouldn't be happening. I note that you ordered the White Tip color option, which is our lightest option. Can you confirm the exact weight of your sash for me? I think the spring calibration might be the culprit, but if not, then knowing your sash weight will at least eliminate that as an option.

Just to be safe, I'd also like to know the length of the inner spiral rod for your old balance.

I have already thrown the old spirals out :-(
I'll weigh the window this evening. They are quite large / heavy Hurricane weight windows. I didn't think about using a different color other than white. I can always pop off the the other windows to measure the spiral. I'll keep in touch.
The window sash weighs 21 lbs. as you can see after the pop noise, the spring disengages from the spring tube. I loosened the tension by one turn but still hear the pop and disengagement on one side.
Profile picture of Tom

A White Tip color option for a balance in this size should still support 21 pounds. So it's definitely not a matter of spring calibration.

The only other thing I can think is that the inner spiral rods might be too short. Without the old balances to use as a reference, it's impossible to confirm if this is an issue. Would you happen to have an identical window in the house that still has its old balances? You could measure those. If not, then all we can do is guess.

Assuming that inner spiral rod length is the issue, then the solution at least is easy. You'd simply redrill a new mounting hole a little under the original (maybe 1"). I think what might be happening is that when you close the sash, the spiral rod is being extended past where it was designed to be and straining the spring. My hope is that if you lower the balance as a whole, this will alleviate the strain and the balances will work properly. This is just an educated guess, though. I'm sorry we cannot give a more confident suggestion.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-045 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-045 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.