Window balancer

A quick learner from Weeki Wachee Florida says:

Can you help me replace my window balancers. There is a 34DS stamped onto the metal channel portion of the balancer and this metal portion also measures 34" and then it has plastic parts on the ends which make it a little longer. Pics included. 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20201031_164356.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20201031_164139.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20201031_164122.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 34DS38
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello, thanks for posting! It looks like you could have either our Series 380 or Series 385. The difference between the Series 380 and the Series 385 lies in the depth of the shoe. Take a look at the picture below for more detail.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

Typically with a 34D stamp, the length of the metal channel would be 35 inches. When you measure the metal portion from end to end, does it still look like 34 inches?

A quick learner from Weeki Wachee Florida says:
Yes, the metal portion does measure 35". The shoe measures 7/8" and looks worn down ( 16 yr old windows).If the shoe is a part that normally gets worn down over time I would assume that I need the S380 part. If so I will need 4.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! It is possible that your shoe simply wore down, but I think you should consider the 15-029 bottom; this happens to be the same as the 15-004, but with a 7/8" depth. Would that interest you? I should tell you now that custom balances cannot be returned for a refund. 

Another thing to note is your stamp; yours says "DS," which I think means you have an extra heavy duty spring. You may want to check your sash weight to be sure. According to the number after your stamp, it ought to be 38 pounds. If I'm right then you want to use the 3460 stamp, not the 3440.

Please let me know if you were interested in a custom balance made with a 15-029 shoe. I can make you a 35" balance with a 3460 and that shoe. I just need to know how many you wanted so that I can set the quantity.

How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.