Window balances

A home owner from Dover, PA says:

We purchased about 20 replacement vinyl windows from Gorell Enterprises in 1995. A few years ago the balances began failing. We currently need to replace at least five of them. I've attached a photo of a lower sash, hoping that you can identify the style for replacement. Please advise.

Thanks.

Dan 

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

We believe your Gorell model window used our Series 180 coil spring. This fits inside a 15-087 coil housing shoe and 15-086 coil housing top, which I see in your photo. You'll need to remove your old springs to see what number is stamped on them. That will allow you to select the proper Series 180 option.

Thanks much!

Dan
A service technician thought that the size of the window or window sash could determine the proper Series 180 option. Is that true, or do you definitely need the number stamped on the old springs?

Dan
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

There is a formula you can use to determine what you have based on the size of your window, but it's not always reliable. In my experience it's a little off about half the time. If you don't have stamps on your springs, it's far easier to simply weigh your sash on a scale. You then divide that weight among the springs. 

Let's use an example. Say you weigh your sash and it's 20 pounds exactly. Then you count your springs: two on each side, totaling 4 springs. You want each of those springs to carry 5 pounds, adding up to 20 pounds of support to match your sash weight. Therefore, you'd want to buy 4 of our S180-5 coil springs.

Does that make sense? 

Yes, thanks!

Dan
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

My pleasure! Let me know if you need anything else.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.