Window binds when closing

A home owner from Los Angeles says:

Hello! 

Hoping you can help me as these windows have been a nightmare for us. They've never worked properly and remain closed year round. I am not sure if the channel balance are even made for these windows because both sides do not match. However here is what I can tell you... it is an aluminum window. The sash weight is 8.2lbs and the glass opening measures 21.5. The balance reads 2110 on one side and 2130 on the other - which i'm sure is incorrect. The channel balance binds with the window when we try to close it and the window seems like its going off the rails.. crooked. Can you tell me if the replacement channel balance will resolve the issue? Is there anything else I need to have it working properly? Thank you for your support.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6570.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6574.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6575.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6562.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6563.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there!

The crooked operation and the way your window binds during operating is most likely due to the mismatched springs on each side. Each of these springs you show here are calibrated for an entirely different window weight. Whoever installed them messed up big time. 

Our S350-22 should match just fine, assuming the length of your original balances are 22". For an 8.2 pound sash, you'd want the 2120 option. Having this exact option on both sides should fix the window's operation. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.