Window channel balance disconnected

A quick learner from Northville, MI says:
Hi Swisco,

My window balance has become disconnected on one side. Can you tell whether I can reconnect this somehow (if so, any hints as to how would be appreciated), or is it broken?

If it is broken, can you advise on replacement?

I do not see any maker's mark on the window. I did find the marking 20X BSI CL on the balance cover, see attached photo.

Thanks for any help you are able to give.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1_rot.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2_rot.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

This appears to be a Series 751 Channel Balance. Watch the video below that shows how to install these balances to determine if you can re-install yours. If not, please remove it and confirm the length of the metal channel, give me a clear picture of that bottom shoe, and give me the precise weight of the window sash. I can then tell you the replacement you'll need. 

Thank you, this looks very much like what I have. The video is very helpful, but already starts with the window removed from the jamb. Can you advise, how to remove the window? I don't see any release clips, levers, etc. on my windows. My windows are non-tilting but double hung. My interior trim piece is not easily removable (it is not held in with screws like the video, but is instead nailed in place).
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Normally balances that use these type of balances can tilt, so it's a little weird yours can't. It looks like there may have been tilt latches that are missing. Do any windows in the house still have tilt latches. Otherwise, removing the sash from these windows is a matter of raising it slightly, then tilting inward and removing one end at a time--there should be pivot pins on both bottom corners that fit into those knife shoes at the bottom. 

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply. All the windows in the house are the same, I don't see any tilt latches on any of them. I added some more photos of the "problem" window (see photos 3-6), maybe you see something I don't!

Would it be possible to just flip the latch on the knife shoe up like it appears at around 1:15 in the video and let it "catch" the pivot pin? Right now the latch on the knife shoe is more horizontal, the "locking position" shown around 1:50 in the video.

Thanks again for any light you are able to shed on this.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I think you might want to wait a few weeks for the weather to warm up. The white vinyl tracks your wood sashes ride on are spring loaded. If you press it with your hand you will feel the give to your pressure. 

To get to the window balance that has the locked shoe, raise the bottom sash up about six inches. Now grab the top of the sash on each end and pull it down. Bring the sash down to a horizontal position and twist the sash to disengage the bottom sash pivots from the balance knife shoes. 

Inspect the tilt bars on the sash. If one of them is broken, that might be the reason the balance shoe is not engaged. If the pivot bars look fine, then with a flat tip screw driver, carefully press on the metal knife on the shoe to disengage it from the lock position. Please hold on to the screw driver when you release the knife shoe the balance might spring up. 

If there is no tension, then you will need to replace the balance. We will need the length of the metal balance channel and a good look of the shoe.

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.