Window channel balance fixes

A handy person from College Station, TX says:

Hello,

Thank in advance for your help. I have a 14 year old home and many of the windows are out of order due to the channel balances breaking. In most cases, the closed-cam t-lock shoe has broken away from the metal balance cartridge. In some cases, like the attached photo, when the shoe broke it resulted in the tilt latches breaking. I haven't figured out how to replace the tilt latches in these windows (I don't see any screws and haven't tried to pop them out if they are compression or some other fit).

Details:

* product 15-195 shoes (I will need ~26 of these if that is all that I am replacing)

* 27" metal balance cartridge

* 18 lb windows

* as the images show, the cartridges use a metal hook at the top that is attached to the cord. It is most like your 795 series, but there is no screw attachment at the top as the hook fits in a hole in the track.

If I am just replacing the shoes (~26 needed) and pivot latches (6 needed, replacement not identified), I think I can move forward once I figure out how to replace the pivot latches.

An additional question is if and when the whole balance needs replacement.

FYI, I am in central Texas. Plastic parts do not do well in the heat, so that may be the cause of all of the shoes failing?

Thanks,

Duncan 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20211009_012208742.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20211010_154000775.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20211010_154100624.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20211010_154222852.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20211010_162555321.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Duncan. If your shoes broke, then it is likely a sign that your channel balances won't be far behind. It doesn't have anything to do with the heat, it's just because the balances are old. 

That said, you can try replacing just the 15-195 shoes for now. That could very realistically give your balances a few more years of life, but they will require total replacement sooner or later.

If you do want to replace the balances, then they have to be custom made due to that hook. Let me know if you wanted to pursue that and how many altogether you needed. I can then email you a custom balance purchase link you can use to add them to your cart.

For the tilt latches, yours may be a match for our 26-243 and 26-244, but look these over to confirm. The video below will show you how to remove them.

A handy person from College Station, TX says:
Thank you Tom. I ordered shoes and tilt latches. Duncan
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.