Window channel balance replacement

A home owner from Coral Springs FL says:
Have a window channel balance which is 30 in long (not including the plastic end clips), the depth is 1/2 inch and width is 1/2 inch. The marking on the sheet metal is 29-3 W. There are no other markings on the balance, however the balance is spring loaded with nylon rope pulley. The condo was built in mid-80s.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190319_175021269.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190319_175031383.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Can you show us the other nylon attachment? I only see the nylon shoe in your photos. Many thanks.

Are requested here are additional photos. The upper tab broke so I taped it together which is the reason for the slight disorientation on the clip's photos.
I reviewed another post which shows in the photos the exact same clips and also references 2 numbers separated by a dash stamped in the balance.In his post he has 12 in balances with 11-2. stamped in the channel balance which is similar to my 30" channel balance which has 29 - 3 W as its markings.
As additional info an online video with the similar unique windows the owner identifies them an Pan Am windows. I appreciate any info you can provide so I purchase my windows from you. Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190331_172850457.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190331_172807126.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190331_172720892.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190331_173113863.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190331_173256402.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

See our S377-30 Channel Balance. Carefully go over the pictures and specifications on the product page to confirm it's a match. You'll then need to select your stamp option. You are correct, your stamp number of 29-3 indicates both the length of the balance (or really, the visible glass height; hence why it '29' is 1" less than the actual balance length of 30") as well as the strength of the spring inside the balance. 29-3 conforms to our stamp option of 2930, which is for a window sash in the weight range of 16 through 23 lbs. Let us know if you have any questions.

As recommended I weighed the window. I saw on your website that a S377-30 will handle 16-23 pounds. I weighed the window multiple times and the window seems to be 26+- pounds. I assume this weight would still allow the S37730/2930 to be used. Please advise..Thanks again.
Profile picture of Bob

The S377-30 can support a number of weight ranges; the stamp option simply denotes which of those weight ranges the balance is specifically calibrated for. If you're sure the window weighs 26 lbs, then you'd want the S377-30 but with a stamp option not of 2930, but of 2940. 2940 is meant to support a weight range of 23 through 28 lbs (you can see this chart that lists the weight ranges for each stamp option on the S377-30 product page). Before these balances broke, did you ever find it difficult to open the window, or keeping it open? If so, it's possible your old balances were a bit too weak to begin with. 

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

If your sash is 26 pounds then you want the 2940 option, but if I were you I would get your exact sash weight just to be sure. You don't want the spring to be too strong or too weak.

A stamp of 29-3 would be too weak, which would account for why you had trouble opening your window before. Sometimes installers don't pay attention to that kind of thing. As long as the balance goes in and the house passes inspection, they still get paid. Then five years later the windows stop working because they didn't do their job. That's why it's important to double check everything before replacing your balance.

Thanks for the immediate response. I referred to the chart regarding weights, but given my window had figures of 29 and 30 in the prior discussion I was confused as to whether 2940 was an applicable option. Regarding your question, yes the window was difficult to open and seemed sticky closing. The window always stayed up fine and needed a good push to get it moving and continue to close it which I attributed to age. Based on my info to you please advise. Once confirmed I will place the order. Thank you so much for your professional attention to my questions.
Tom & Bob,Thank you. Given the 25 to 26 lbs. weight I will order 2940 as this is recommended. I live in a FL condo development with 4,500 homes all with the same windows. I am sure homeowners are being taken advantage of by contractors, especially since it is a 55+ community. Average age 82. Your prices are unbelievably cheap and certainly worth the money and your advice is priceless. Thank you for your patience.
Profile picture of Tom

It was our pleasure, of course. Please let us know if you ever have any questions. We greatly appreciate your business and we'll be happy to help with anything else.

Thank you,I have received my balances and frame clips and I have one question: I am unsure as to how the channels actually get reinserted. I am not clear as to whether both bottom tabs go into the channel track or does ONLY the "exterior" tab get inserted into the track with the second / interior tab simply riding on the channel frame itself without being inserted. I can't easily get the second ("interior") tab into the track unless I try to force it.Of course, I don't want to break the tab. Please help. Thanks again.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I'm having a hard time visualizing your problem, but I think I know what you're talking about. Most windows have a cut out for you to slide in the bottom shoe and top balance fittings in the track. How did you remove your old balance?

The window frame has a vertical channel on the one side , but not on the other. It seems that the channel balance plastic tabs both top and bottom,sit in the vertical track on the one side, but rides on the frame edge since there is only one vertical channel to hold the tabs. Please help.

Also, with the 2 new strongest balances the window raises easily, but the window is fighting being closed. In fact when I completely close the window and let it go the window raises on its own more than 3 inches. I can live with it, but is this occurring because of the possibly stronger balances (see earlier discussions) Just curious. Thanks again.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190422_185240575.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

That is very bizarre. I suppose it's possible that your window was designed for just one side to fit in the groove and the other side to float, but I've never come across that before. I can't predict if that will have any long term consequences. Sorry we can't offer better advice!

Another thing that I noted while overviewing your past order: the 2940 stamp that you selected is for a sash weighing 23 through 28 pounds. This would too strong for your sash. You might want to consider going down to the 2930 for sashes weighing 16 through 23 pounds. Just something to think about.

A quick learner says:
I slightly moved the balance around and it came out.
There is a single Channel which accepts a plastic tab on one side of the window frame and the other side apparently the tab simply slides across the top of the frame, as there is only a single track to accept a single tab . As far as slots in the channel, to allow the insertion of the balance tabs, there are none. The Windows are Pan Am.
2) I have an issue regarding the recommended balance.As stated above based on the actual window weight of 26 pounds and your website chart recommending the proper balance the 2940, was purchased and installed. Now the window is very tough to close all the way down it's travel and even more difficult especially at the bottom 6 inches. Also, the window when unlocked springs itself up 6 inches without being touched. Should a different balance have been used? The recommended balance was installed, so what are my options to rectify this. Can these be exchanged for different model balance? Please advise. Thank you.
Profile picture of Tom

If the weight of your sash is 26 pounds then our 2940 option should have worked. Can you confirm the exact weight of your sash, down to the ounce? Your original balance used a 2930 option. Could it be that your sash weight falls into the original 16 through 23 pound weight range we recommended originally?

As for getting the tabs in there, like Paul said it's very peculiar. Either that's the way the balances were meant to install or the balances were never meant to be replaced to begin with, in which case you'll have to improvise. There are plenty of windows made in this industry where the manufacturers would rather you replace the window instead of the hardware, so they made the hardware near-impossible to replace. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.