Window coil spring top connector

A quick learner from Florida says:
This is where the top of the coil spring connects to the window. Almost every window in my 8 year old house has this piece broken. Cheap construction! I can dig out the broken piece of plastic. Do you have a metal replacement part?
Thank you!
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm pretty sure we can help, though I think this might be more involved than just a connector. It appears the piece that broke is built into the spring mechanism itself, which means you may be in the market for new balances.

It's hard to tell exactly what you have based on this picture, though. If I had to wager, I'd say you have a 5/8" diameter spiral balance for a tilt window, which is our Series 600 . I can't be sure. Is there any way you can show me a picture of an undamaged balance? There should be an outer tube around the coil spring, likely white plastic in your case. This outer tube is used to determine the size. That would also let me see this connector piece you mentioned. Our balances don't use any such piece, but instead just have the screw go through the metal tube itself.

Our Series 600 balances use metal tubes and overall we find that they are sturdier and last longer than the old spiral balances which use that plastic outer tube.
A quick learner from Florida says:
I attached 2 more pictures. One is an un-broken top. Underneath the thin plastic sleeve is the plastic piece that breaks. The other picture is the OTHER end of the balance.
My spirals are only 3/8" in diameter.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! Looks like you have a standard tilt window spiral balance. If the outer plastic tube is only 3/8" in diameter, see our Series 900 instead. This should replace your balance system.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)