Window crank handle Replacements.

A home owner from living room says:

I have two broken handles with one show above. The stem at the bottom of the handle that fits into the mechanism has broken in half.

Bob 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named _20190412_0484.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Your picture is a little blurry so I'm not sure exactly what this is. Is that stem a 5/16" hex? If so, you could possibly use our 39-226 as a replacement. Look it over and see what you think.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Bob. These old hex handles were held in with little metal collars in the operator. These had a habit of breaking so that's probably what happened to yours, too. Unfortunately, they can't be replaced or repaired. Odds are the operator isn't made anymore, either, since "female" operators fell out of style years ago. The reason they did that was probably because the old ones broke so often, though I'm just guessing.

You don't have many options if you want to keep using the operators. You could try padding the hex out with scotch tape or even just glue it in. I've done both with satisfactory results, though neither is ideal and I personally don't like using glue that much. 

I'm sorry that we couldn't offer you an easier solution.

A home owner from living room says:
It is a hex. I need two of them, but one still has an unbroken hex. It simply does not stay in the crank mechanism. Is there a set screw or pin of some sort that I am not seeing (my eyes are no longer too good)? I also thought that #39-226 was the one I need based on appearance and the measurements I made. I guess that I was gun-shy to order 2. I assume that I can return them if they don't fit.

Bob Chope
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.