Window hardware

A home owner from 47401 says:
Hello,

I'm looking for a part for a window (brand: Capitol windows). It holds the window up so that it doesn't slide back down when you open it. Please see the photo.

Do you have a part like this?

Best,

Julie

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0524.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Julie. The part in question is called a coil balance. Yours in particular is a match for our Series 190. You may also need a new 15-186 clip, if your original is too damaged to reuse.

This is very helpful. I will order the parts right now. Thank you so much!

Best,

Julie
Whoops... I was just going to order it, but it says that I have to choose a balance. There is no stamp on it. So, how do I know which one to choose?

Thanks.

Julie
Profile picture of Tom

Hey, Julie. There should be a number printed on the spring itself, near the screw hole. If there isn't, then I'll have to know the exact weight of the sash instead. I can use that to calculate the proper option.

I'm not sure what you mean by "spring"--is this the same thing as the coil balance?

I can't even get the coil balance out of the window frame to see if there is a number. Actually, I'm not even sure I even a new coil balance. Rather, I think I might just need the clip because the coil is in place and it's just the clip that's missing (because it's broken). I attached a photo of the coil (with the missing clip) to this message in case it's of help.

If I do need a new coil and I can't get the current coil out of the frame, then how would I go about measuring the weight of the sash?

Note that once I get the correct part(s), a handyman will be installing it. However, he's not going to come to my house just to check the coil and I don't have anything else for him to do at the moment.

Thanks.

Julie
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0532.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Yes, the spring in this case is the coil balance. I'm sorry for using an unfamiliar term, it's just some shorthand I use without thinking. 

If all you need is the clip, then you can use the 15-186 I mentioned above. We also sell the 15-182 bushing, in case that's also missing.

If you did need new coil balances, then you should definitely remove them ahead of time to see if they have a stamp. Otherwise, you will need to remove the sash from the window and place it on a scale to get its weight. Any common bathroom scale will do, but it has to be precise.

As for removing the coil balance, the video below may be helpful. It's a pretty easy project, to be honest. Using a handy person to do it for you may cost you more money than it's worth.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.