Window latches for double hung tilt out windows

A home owner from North Fort Myers Florida says:
Need several sets. Originals deteriorated from sun exposure. No company name or identifying marks found on latch or windows. Windows installed approximately 2006.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1011221634_resized.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1011221636_dimensioned.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1011221636a_resized.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1011221636b_resized.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1011221636c_resized.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

Take a look and compare the dimensions of our 26-394 to yours. Please note that ours does not have the same nite lock shown at the top of your latch, which is no longer available. Also, the hole spacing differs from the dimensions shown in your photo. I'd recommend double-checking your measurements compared to the diagram below. Thanks for posting! 

Dimensions for 26-394
Dimensions for 26-394

Hello and thanks for the reply. The hole spacing is 1-1/8 center to center. Maybe I could elongate one of the holes to accommodate the 1/16" difference, however the other important dimensions are the exact location of the mounting holes relative to the working end of the piece as well as the 5/16" dimension which is needed to clear the edge of the upper window.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us. I just ran back to check and the front hole offset on our latch is 3/4", which is much bigger than the 5/16" that you gave. With that in mind I don't think the 26-394 will work for you.

I also wasn't able to find a smaller version of our latch. I don't think I've ever seen this made in other sizes. The dimensions you gave are a first for me, but so far I've had no luck in tracking it down.

I am sorry for the inconvenience. I don't believe we'll be able to get you a closer match.

Hi again Casey, thanks for your help with this problem. I've enclosed a revised picture of the latch with a clearer set of dimensions and I've circled the two dimensions that I believe are the ones of primary importance. please compare this to your 26-394 unit. We may be able to modify it and make it usable for the application. Thanks, Jim
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1017221303_Dimensioned.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Hey, Jim. The 3/8" measurement isn't really that vital in my experience but the 5/8" measurement is. In the case of our 26-394, that is 3/4"; that's closer than the original given measurement of 5/16" but it's still fairly large.

I cannot verify that our product will work for you, but it remains our best and only option.

Hi Tom, the 3/8" dimension is important because if it is greater than 3/8: then it would hit the lower frame member of the upper window and could not be installed. There may be enough room to accept the 3/4" dimension of the front mounting hole and I would have to drill a new mounting hole in the lower window frame for the back mounting hole. a more detailed dimensioned picture of your part would be helpful showing the positioning of the mounting holes on the item.
Hi Tom, would it be possible for me to order just one pair of the 26.394 latches. I would like to see if I can modify them just enough to fit in my windows. If it's not too difficult to do so then I can order more sets to do my other windows.

Thanks for your help with this project.
Profile picture of Tom

Sure! We have no minimum purchase quantity, so you can order just one pair to try out, if you wish. All orders can be placed directly on our site at your convenience.

You can also see our return policy here.

Profile picture of Tom

I also checked one of these parts and the 3/8" backset is the same as your original latch. Your 5/8" measurement comes up as .65" on our part, which is only a hair more. 

Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.