Window lock

A home owner from New York says:
Hi,
The handle came out of the lock. I see something similar but it seems on my Windows the handle goes down to lock and the ones I see go up. Are the able to be upside down

Thanks
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 85DB0386-938C-4A97-BFFA-64DEB77A008C.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C86D06D7-CA50-40D8-A5EC-7E46DDC0A02E.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3CC13C80-57B4-4FDD-B5E1-EF8478DEBDC2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B98F23CC-2BE5-449E-A0EA-E427F5858B5B.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It's tough to tell what you have without seeing the lock out of the window. I recommend starting with our 38-099 and 38-100. Carefully compare our photos and information to your own locks to see how they add up. If they differ in any way, I'll need to see your lock removed from the window in order to find something better.

A home owner from New York says:
Hi,
How can I remove the lock?
Thanks
Profile picture of Tom

There should be screws on the other side of the window. You just need to open the sash to access them from outside.

A handy person from New york says:
I got the lock off the window but we are missing the locking bar. Can we purchase one?
Thanks
Profile picture of Tom

That sounds like it could be the tie bar. We carry a ton of different kinds, but I don't know what your window uses. Do you have an old one we can see as a reference? It's not possible to ID these without an old one to use as a reference.

A friend from Wisconsin says:
Hi -

I followed the previous post. what if the handle is broken off, how can I get the sash open to remove the lock?

Thank you!
Profile picture of Tom

That's a tough situation. Your best bet is to try to force the handle back in, even if it's just enough to unlock the window. If that's not possible, though, then your only option is to cut it out, which can be a huge pain. If that's the situation you're in then I highly recommend contacting a local professional to come out and do it for you. It's not something you should try if you've never done it before.

How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.