Window needs channel or balances replaced

A home owner from Oakland, CA says:
I believe the window needs a new channel installed, as I do not see one. However, there are balances. The top window will not stay up or closed unless windows are in locked position. Photos are of the right and left interior sides of the window. Currently there is no channel.
There is a sticker referencing Series:9400 AAMA/NWWDA 101/I.S. 2-97
H-LC30-48x78
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by channel; could you clarify? If you mean channel balances, your window is not designed to work with them, and you cannot use them. Your window has coil balances--our Series 180 coil springs with the 15-087 Pivot Shoe. We can replace these, if needed. Let us know.

Thanks for your response Bob. You obviously know what the window needs better than I. I guess that's what happens when you Google "how to fix..." At any rate, I would appreciate the part needed to make the window operational. Please advise.
Profile picture of Bob

We understand. We are happy to help, we just need a little help from you. On the current coil, there is usually a stamped number or marking on it. You will need to provide us with that information. If there should not be any type of stamping, then you will need to weigh your sash and get back to us with the weight number. This will help us be able to provide you with the exact part number we believe you will need.

Thanks Bob. I see a Patent Number on the plastic part that houses the coil. It is PAT. 5,353,548 will this suffice? I also noticed that the bottom window appears to have 3 pivots one stacked on top of the other on each side and the top window has what appears to be 2 (one on top of the other). There is a coil in each pivot. By the way, this window was manufactured by Viking of CA. (If that helps)
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5FA5D2C3-66F5-4784-8BF8-2E789F08CA09.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C44CC750-02C3-4492-B838-9AA87055DCE3.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 90FDA467-5374-40CE-9318-829CBE80695D.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

We're getting there. The Patent number unfortunately isn't helpful. The stamped numbers we're looking for will be on the actual Series 180 coil springs inside the 15-087 Coil Housing Pivot or the 15-086 Tandem Coil Housing stacked on top of the bottom pivot. You will need to remove the housings and the coil springs to see this. 

If the Series 180 springs do not have stamped numbers on them, you will need to weigh both window sashes. Let us know the precise weight of each sash, and we'll work out what you need.

If you need help removing the components, see the video below.

I managed to open two of the pivots and I see a very faint stamping with the number 5 03v and 5 04v. A photo is attached.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

OK, based on those '5' stamps those should be our S180-5, which are coil springs meant to support 5 lbs apiece. Basically, the total amount of coil spring weights must support the total weight of the window sash; they also be even on either side of the window sash. So for instance, if one of your window sashes weighed 20 lbs, you'd want (2) of the S180-5 on either side of the sash. 

You'll want to obtain the rest of the stamp numbers on your coil springs to make sure you have the right spring weights; or, weigh your window sashes so we can calculate the exact combination you need. 

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.