Window operator for casement window

A handy person from Philadelphia, PA says:
need to replace the operator. crank just spins without gears moving. i have no idea what brand or model. i think these were somewhat custom made. this is for a casement window that is part of a "garden view" bay window
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named casement_window.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Wow, you weren't kidding. This is truly bizarre. I've never seen anything like this before, and to be honest I'm not even sure how it works. 

I can at least tell you that the gears are stripped out, which explains the issue you're having, but that's about as far as we can go. I'm going to forward this to my senior colleague who has a lot more experience with this kind of window than I do. With any luck, he'll have come across one of these before, but we'll see. I'll get back to you ASAP.

In the meantime, if you can dig up any information on who might have manufactured this window, or even if you can confirm if they were custom made, it would be a huge help. Check the inside of the window frame for a metallic AAMA sticker, too. Seeing that may offer us a clue.

Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Yeah, I'm with Tom. Your operator is similar to those we carry on our site, but it has an unusual linkage that operates the window. If at all possible, I'd like to see some more photos showing how it attaches to the sash. A few other photos of how it operates in general would also be appreciated, as well as seeing all the relevant working parts. 

A handy person from Philadelphia, PA says:
thanks guys. was worried that this might be this might be an unusual part. i uploaded 2 more photos. I checked but i don't see any AAMA stickers or model number etched into it. As far as the manufacturer, I did have the original brochure but my wife threw away a binder of old manuals and invoices with the past month! We purchased it in 2003 or 2004. The local retailer was Builders Prime Windows (went out of business in 2010). The model name was "Garden View" bay window. I believe the manufacturer started with a "B" and the 1st name was 2 lettersl
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20191114_123804.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20191114_123819.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Thanks again for waiting. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to find anything that functions similarly to this operator. I'm afraid that we will not be able to offer a replacement for you. Your best bet is trying to track down whoever made this window. I think they may be your only hope. Sorry we can't be of more help!

Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.