Window part needed

A quick learner from Hillsboro OR says:

There is a part on the side that helps make the window stay open and not come crashing down. I need this for two windows. Both windows lift to open. There is a metal piece with the following stamped on the back. 13 4 I0 CALDWELL

Window measurements of broken windows

Window 1 - 17" high x 29" wide (this is the measurement of just the part of the window that opens that has the broken parts)

Window 2 - 29" high x 33" wide

I'm just not sure how to tell what part I need to order. Also would like to know how long it usually takes for a part to arrive after ordered.

Thank you,

Becky

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named wp2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named wp3.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named wp4.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named wp5.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named wp6.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Becky, thanks for your patience during this busy season. Looks like you need to replace your channel balances. Channel balances are the spring-loaded mechanisms on either side of the window sash that enables you to lift and lower the sash at will. We can definitely help you replace these balances, but if the second window is larger, I will need to see that balance also removed from the window so I can identify the attachments it has as either end, as well as so we can confirm the stamp code on that balance as well. 

For the shorter balance, I'd like you to confirm that the metal channel, not including the nylon attachments at either end, is 14" long. If so, then see either our S380-14 or S385-14. The only difference between these two Series is the 'depth' of the bottom nylon shoe. With the Series 380 the depth of this nylon shoe is 1", whereas with the Series 385 it is 1-3/32". Compare with your own and see what is best. You will need to choose a stamp code of 1340. 

The stamp code will certainly be different on the longer balance, and possibly the nylon attachments as well. If you could get that second balance for me, then I should be able to identify that balance for you as well. Many thanks.

OK thank you for your help. I'll get you the second balance and I'll get the measurements. How long will it take for the parts to come. I'm on a deadline so need them as soon as possible. Do I have to order them or is there a place I can pick them up in the Portland Oregon area?
OK it looks like both window parts are 14". Here are some pics of the 2nd window part. How do I know which "shoe" is the bottom?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2nd window part1.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2nd window part2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 214763.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named my window part measurements.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to me, Becky. The shoe is the 'squatter' attachment. If your balance was sitting in the window track, it would literally be the one at the bottom. In the photo above where you show the balance alongside measuring tape, it is the attachment at the left. If your balance was standing as it would be in your window track, the depth is the measurement from the 'toe' to 'heel' of the shoe at the widest point, just below and perpendicular to the metal channel. 

Remember, we're talking a very small difference here (1" for the Series 380 vs 1-3/32" for the Series 385"), but it's still significant enough to affect window function. Basically, if the depth looks to be even a little greater than 1", you probably are working with the S385-14. But if it's exactly 1" or slightly less (from wear and tear), the S380-14 is the better choice. 

All shipping options will be shown during checkout after you put in your zip code. We do only offer online sales, but there are express shipping options if needed. 

Profile picture of Bob

Sounds good, Becky. Glad we could help. Let us know if you need anything else. And thanks for considering our business, we appreciate it.

OK I ordered the parts I believe I needed. It measured just a little more than an inch so I ordered the s385 series. The video links on the page were very helpful. Thank you for your assistance!

Becky
Hello, I received the parts I ordered. I need to return a couple as I ordered the wrong size for one of the windows. How do I go about that?

Also, the stamp on the part I need is 25 4 IO CALDWELL. Are you able to help me determine the correct size channel balance I need?
Profile picture of Bob

You can see our Return Policy here. As far as this new balance, it's likely, but not guaranteed, that a balance with the stamp 25 4 is 26" long. To be safe, I'd measure the metal channel, not including the nylon attachments at either end, just to confirm this. 

Yes 26" long.
Profile picture of Bob

Hi Becky. OK, great. So we know this other balance you need is 26" long, and that based on its stamp code of 25 4, it will need a stamp option of 2540, assuming it is one of our standard Series non-tilt window channel balances. If you're uncertain what Series this balance is, show us a picture of each nylon attachment again, and we can narrow that down for you too! 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.