Window parts

A home owner from Mundelein, IL says:
Hi,
Can you tell who the manufacturer of the window is by the attached pictures.
A spring on the upper window broke and also the stop on the lower.
Not sure if these are universal parts, or I need to order by manufacturer?

I have the actual part (broken) at home...
Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window part.png
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Your stickers don't tell us much, but your pivot shoe looks like our 15-192, which is Certainteed brand. There was also another shoe made once upon a time that was Simonton brand.  It was identical to our 15-192 except for one or two differences.

You also mentioned you need a spring. The 15-192 is compatible with our Series 170, so I think that's also what you want.

There is no such thing as a universal part in this industry. Your case is also somewhat rare in that a brand name is specific to one single part; most windows and doors use generic hardware regardless of brand. When you need to identify a part, it's necessary to go by its physical design and dimensions. You're better off assuming that whatever part you have is one of a kind and work from there. In my experience, that's the only reliable method.

Thanks Tom. The picture that I sent, the piece was almost 3 inches. Is there something that I need in addition to the 15-192? And the spring?
Profile picture of Tom

I mentioned in my prior post that if you needed a spring, you can use our Series 170. As for the white piece around the spring, that looks like it's just the cover. The Series 170 uses the 15-156 cover. You may also need a 15-157 bushing.

That said, if your original cover and bushing are undamaged, you can just reuse them. You can reuse your spring, too, if it's in good condition. That's the great part about coil balance systems, you only need to replace what's broken.

Profile picture of Tom

Awesome! My pleasure. Let us know if you need anything else. Thanks for considering our business, we really appreciate it. 

Thank you. You have been very helpful! The spring seems OK, so just ordered the other parts.
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.