Window pulley system

A quick learner from Boston says:
Hi. I inherited 2004 replacement windows when I bought my house. Some of the windows will no longer stay open on their own because their pulleys are broken in one way or another. I'm hoping to replace the pulley systems in those windows, but don't have part numbers.

Attached is a pic of one of the windows showing its only markings. The rest of the pics show an example of a working version of the pulley system.

Thanks.

Chuck
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hi there, thanks for posting. It looks like your window is working with the 15-192 pivot shoe that's compatible with the Series 170 Coil Balance and Series 171 coils. If you just have one coil on each side, You'll only need the Series 170

You'll have to check the tongue of the coil for a stamped number that corresponds with the weight of the window. If you don't see any stamps, you can weigh the window sash and choose coils to appropriately support the window weight equally on each side. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi Kathleen.

Thank you so much for the guidance. That does indeed look like a match!

One additional question on the details:

It looks like I actually have two types of coil balances. One does indeed say "406" on it, so I see how to order that. The other, however, says "10J" or "1OJ". I don't see a direct match. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Chuck
Profile picture of Casey

That could be a 10 pound spring. Are these in the same window, or their own separate window? 

Assuming it is a 10 pound spring, I'm afraid we cannot supply a match. The strongest our springs go is 9 pounds. You may want to consider using two 5 pound springs instead; specifically our S170-405 and our S171-405.

The S170-405 would go on bottom and the S171-405 would stack on top of it. It has a longer tongue so it can reach down and install in the same hole. Hopefully that makes sense. You'd also need a new 15-156 cover and 15-157 drum.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks, Kathleen.

Sorry to have confused things. Yes, they were actually on their own windows.

Thanks again for all the insight.

Chuck
Profile picture of Casey

Okay, great! We're happy to help, Chuck. Let us know if you ever need anything else.

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.