Window replacement latch.

A home owner from Oconomowoc, WI says:
I'm looking for a right side replacement latch for our Milgard single hung window. I contacted Milgard and they referred me to you. I'm attaching pictures of the broken latch, and the latch location on both sides of the window. The broken latch has some identification on it, however the window has none. I'm hoping you can help me.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window 3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window 2.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. Start by reviewing our 26-243 and 26-244 Tilt Latch pair. This style looks awfully similar; just confirm that the dimensions match what you have. Let us know if anything differs, and if so, how. 

Hi Bob, the 26-243 and 26-244 are pretty close. The moving latch is a little different in shape and the clip on the bottom near the latch has a 3/32 measurement, rather than 3/16. I removed the unbroken left latch assembly to show you the top and bottom of what we have. Pictures are attached. The width and length of the top look good.

Thanks for your help!

Randy

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window 4.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window 5.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

I see what you mean. Your latch "tooth" has a bit of a slope to it. This is an older style latch that we did sell at one time, but has been discontinued for quite a few years now.

In my experience, our 26-243 and 26-244 still work, even if the "tooth" is straight. However this isn't necessarily a guarantee. Depending on the position of the balance, the straight tooth can interfere with operation.

The only thing I can say with confidence is that these latches are the only type we can supply at this time. The older version just isn't available anymore.

I apologize for the inconvenience. 

I ordered a left and right latch. We'll see how they work.

Thanks for your help Bob.
Profile picture of Bob

You're welcome! Thank you for the order, it means a lot.

Please feel free to reach out if you had any questions.

How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.