Window replacement parts

A handy person from New York says:
Looking to replace two sets of coil balances and one of the pieces that pull back to release the window to lean in.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220330_160943.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220330_164439.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220330_164341.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220330_163939.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220330_163852.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! We can help with both the balance assembly and the tilt latch. Let's start with the balance assembly, since that's a lot easier. For this I would recommend our 15-087 pivot housing, 15-086 tandem housing, and the Series 180 coil spring.

For the tilt latch, I would like you to measure the distance between the two installation holes (center-to-center) and write out what you get. From there I will check to see if anything in our inventory lines up.

The distance between the two installation holes is 2 1/8" picture attached. I have also attached a picture of the mounting bracket that was in place. Can I reuse that bracket or will I need a new one? Also can I reuse some of the coils shown in the previous pictures sent? They seem to be in good condition.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220401_200347.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220401_200413.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

As long as the old coils and bracket are in good condition then you can still use them, yes. That's one of the great things about coil balance assemblies, in my experience. In most cases you only have to replace one component instead of the whole mechanism.

As for the tilt latch, my first recommendation would be the 26-228 and 26-229. These have the same 2-1/8" hole spacing and the design is dead-on, but you should review the rest of our measurements just to be 100% sure. I feel confident that this is what you want but you can never be too safe.

Alternate image for 26-228
Alternate image for 26-228

Thank you. Last, the coil balance S180-8 end is not tapered like the S160 or the S195 to be connected to each other in tandem. How do these connect for mounting and will instructions for attaching either to the mounting bracket be provided?
Profile picture of Tom

The coil springs do not connect to each other. Instead, both springs extend up to the bracket and hook onto it the same way.

We don't have official instructions for this, but I do have a diagram that may better illustrate what I'm trying to describe. 

Series 180 coil balance diagram
Series 180 coil balance diagram

This works, I can see how it connects. The 8lb coil is out of stock. Can I use a 7lb or 9lb instead?
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.