Window rivets

A quick learner from Lutz, FL says:
We're having an issue with our awming window not closing. Unfortunately, the link arm is connected by rivets instead of screws. Any advice? Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200509_083254732.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200509_083204331.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

One idea is to remove the operator from the window. Look at our video on awning windows to find out how. 

With the operator removed, try opening and closing the window by hand to see if it is hanging up anywhere on the frame. If it operates freely then you might just need to replace the operator. Check this first. 

If you find the window is still not closing it could be "out of square". In that case you will have to have the window reinstalled so that it can be squared up in the opening.

A home owner from Lutz, FL says:
Hi Dave,

I originally saw this video on YouTube which is how I learned about your company. It's a very helpful video, however, the difference between our hardware and yours is that there is a rivet instead of a Phillips head screw that attaches the operator assembly to the link arm. I was able to detach the operator from the wall, and the window opens and closes freely, which is good news. But here is where I'm stuck. With rivets instead of screws, how can I remove/replace the operator assembly? Thanks!
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Unfortunately, you will have to drill that rivet out in order to remove the old operator. The new operator can install using a simple screw, assuming we can find you a match. Keep in mind that I won't know until I see what you have now. I would understand if you aren't comfortable removing the operator like that before you have a confirmed replacement. In that scenario, I would recommend contacting a local professional to come out and have a look at your window.

Hi. Just following up. Please see the pictures attached to this thread. Would you be able to tell me what part I would need? Also, if I drill out a rivet and replace with a screw, I assume I will also need a nut and a washer or two? Please let me know if you need any additional information or measurements. Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It's not easy to identify an operator while it's still installed. Important details are obscured and we can't get a full picture.

Looking at the information provided above, you may have the 39-012. Please understand that this is an educated guess. The hole pattern looks similar and it seems you have the same style link arm, but you'll have to carefully go over the dimensions we show on the 39-012 store page to be 100% sure.

I understand. I will take a look at the specs. Thanks for the quick feedback.
How to Replace an Awning Window Operator [1080p]
How to Replace an Awning Window Operator [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.