Window stopper preventing operation of window

A home owner from Minnesota says:
It appears to be some type of a stopper, can't open window, and unable to push back in. It has appeared on two of our windows.
User submitted a photo of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
This part is known as a vent lock. Normally, you just press it in and slide it to one side to lock it in place. Since yours sounds broken, you will need to remove it.

The trick is, vent locks are not meant to be replaced. It's frustrating, but that's just how they're designed. You will need to break it out to replace it. Take a thin putty knife, slip it under the outside flange, then force up to break it out. To prevent damaging the wood finish, tape a piece of thin cardboard in place before you force it out. That should work as a cushion of sorts.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)