Window sweep locks will not lock

A quick learner from USA says:
Hello - I just moved into a home with 8 "Weather Tamer Coastal Windows" - each has two 'Heavy-Duty Cam Sweep Locks'....however only one of the windows will lock properly. Magically last night, the bathroom window was able to lock(?). It seems that some adjustment needs to be made....either to the lock or the window....the bottom window does not seem to go down far enough to lock onto the top window part...or vice versa.....top window does not go up far enough to lock onto bottom lock. When I try to lock, the sweep part just hits above the locking part on the top window and will not lock. Any suggestions? I see you have a vast selection of cam sweep locks....should I switch to another one?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
A lock not doing its job could be caused by numerous reasons. It could be that the window was installed out of square, or that the windows were manufactured too tight, or the sash being too tall, the sill bubble being too large or compressed from the cold. Another possibility is that the top sash could have sagged, which is called "smiling." I've seen them all. However, I do have a suggestion. Take a look at our 90-058 lock shim. Do you think if you install these under the keeper portion of your lock it will help cure your problem?
A quick learner from Indialantic FL says:
Many thanks for your informative reply.....I found by trial and error that if I really "slam" the top window closed, it will line up with the bottom properly. But, I am concerned that the constant slamming will have some future problems! I will look into purchasing your 90-5058 shim and might just do the trick while preserving the windows. Many thanks pbl
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.