Window trim

A home owner from Tennessee, USA says:
Hi. I have Gapco windows in my house that was built in 1991.
I have attached a picture of the piece I'm looking for. I have numerous windows that have this mess pieces that have cracked or broken over the years and was wondering if this is something that can be replaced.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C8619138-037D-42CF-A61F-D693CB7D04E7.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We may be able to help but we would need to see an end profile photo of an undamaged piece of glazing bead removed from your window, along with written-out dimensions, to compare to our inventory. Thank you. 

What do a the best way to remove a piece?
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

See our video below that demonstrates the process of removing glazing from a vinyl window. 

I tried removing one of the damaged ones and it just cracked worse. It's so brittle it just breaks. I guess it's not something just anyone can remove and repair. I can see that there's like a groove that the piece sits in so I don't think the hammer and chisel technique works with this type of window. Was wonderIng if you had any other suggestions.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I believe that Gapco used a glazing bead similar to the 55-161 back in 1991. The snap-in locks in a groove between the glass and frame. You might be able to work it out by using a thin putty knife. You're correct that using a hammer would cause further damage since the vinyl is brittle but, with patience, you can carefully pull it up and out with the putty knife to compare to the specifications shown on the 55-161 product page. 

Thanks! I'll let you know how I make out
I can't figure out a good way to remove it. All I keep doing I breaking of a tiny piece at a time. It's so tight in that track and it's so brittle. I've attached a couple of more pictures just in case it helps show what I have. I believe what you sent is exactly what's in there. Let me know what you recommend.
Thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1E6571C4-07EB-488E-A3CF-391AEADD16C8.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D9AAF388-2DB2-44B4-9CAA-85026138B8B5.jpeg
I worked out a decent size piece but it's not completely in tact. I've attached more pictures in case it helps you. The top edge is approximately 3/8"w and the front face of it is at least 1/2". I don't know that measurement exactly because the part that snaps into the track keeps breaking off in the track. So the front face of the piece is 1/2" plus whatever keeps snapping off in the track.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B82F97A2-8214-4151-A80C-B2AD50AF8445.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named AFB80183-9DF1-4A13-959D-0F35E6CEC26C.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D190EE61-24BE-4F8C-9561-BB6E2B674316.jpeg
Profile picture of Paul

What you removed does have the same shape as the 55-161, but we can't make any guarantees since it is still damaged. In this case, I'd recommend ordering a sample of the 55-161 glazing here to confirm that it is the correct replacement for your window before placing a larger order. 

Good morning Paul. I received the sample pice that you recommended and it's an exact match for scepter for the color of course. My problem is that I still can't completely remove the old one form the window. Someone I know told me that there is a special tool that is used for this. Does a special tool really exist? I'd like to order what I need to finally get all these windows fixed in my house but I have no way to properly remove the old ones. Please let me know.
Thanks for your help with this.
Profile picture of Paul

It's great to hear that the sample that you purchased matches your original glazing. As for a special tool to remove the old glazing bead, unfortunately, that is not something that we are aware of if there is one on the market. I have seen adhesive used to install glazing beads in the past, which can become a problem when it's time to repair the window again. If you are unable to remove your glazing using a putty knife as we mentioned, you may want to consider having a local professional come out to help you determine the best method of removal. 

That's what I was afraid of. The v shaped part that snaps into the track is the issue. The old one is so brittle that it just breaks and snaps off leaving the v shaped part in the track and I can't find anything around the house or my toolbox that I can use to get it out. Some of it comes out and other parts are extremely difficult.
Good news Paul! I figured out a solution. I used a heat gun on low and just barely heated it and it became soft again and I was able to basically peel it right out of the track. Please let me know the correct product number so that I can get them ordered and start replacing them. I'm going to get the 6' pieces in white and will be cutting them. What should I use to cut them?
Thanks for all of your help with this.
I realized that you already sent me the product number. I decided to go with the 3' but I'll still have to cut off a few inches off of each one so if you can just let me know what the best way to cut them is I'll be all set.
Thanks again for all of your help!
Profile picture of Paul

That's great news! To cut your new glazing, I would suggest using a sharp set of scissors or a type of Wiss snip. You could also use a fine tooth saw such as a hacksaw but I find a good set of scissors work best.

Thanks again for all of your help with this.
Profile picture of Paul

It was our pleasure! Just let us know if you need anything else. 

Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Vinyl Window Glazing Bead
How to Replace Vinyl Window Glazing Bead
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing Glazing Bead and Glass in an Aluminum Window Sash
Replacing Glazing Bead and Glass in an Aluminum Window Sash
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Insulated Glass in an Aluminum Window with Snap-In Glazing
How to Replace Insulated Glass in an Aluminum Window with Snap-In Glazing
GUIDE
READ >
How to Replace Glazing in a Vinyl Window
How to Replace Glazing in a Vinyl Window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.