Window with Coil Balance Won't Stay Open

A quick learner from Topeka, KS says:

Photo attached of the shoe and metal band attached to it that either broke or snapped out of place. Need to either get the part and replace or tutorial on how to fix without new part if possible. Thank you. Mary

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200318_185615.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. I can't be certain without seeing the shoe out of the window, but I believe you might have our 15-228. You'll have to remove the pivot shoe and compare to confirm. The identity of the pivot shoe determines the identity of the coil springs used.

Our 15-228 uses either our Series 160 1/2" wide springs, or our Series 165 3/8" wide springs. You'll have to remove your existing coil spring from the window and compare its width to see which Series you need. Look for a stamp code on the spring tape that indicates what spring weight you need. If there is none, or you are uncertain, give us the exact weight of your window sash, and we'll work out what you need. 

Great. Thanks so much. Once we the shoe out, we will do as you suggest and get back with you.
From what I can tell, you were correct that we have the 15-228 with a #9 1/2" wide coil balance. I heard in your tutorial video that it is best to replace both sides at the same time, so I will need two of each item in the set.
Profile picture of Bob

Yes, it's best to replace balances on both sides of the window, because otherwise the new balance will wear down faster when being used with an older counterpart. All orders can be placed online through our shop page. When you find a part you want, simply click "Add to Cart," and then click "Checkout" at the top right hand corner of the screen. Don't forget to set the quantity! 

Profile picture of Bob

It was my pleasure. Please let me know if you had any other questions!

Thank you so much for the help! Very much appreciated.
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.