Window won't stay open - some questions...

A home owner from Kansas says:
My Alliance tilt window will not stay up so am I correct in assuming I need to replace the pivot shoes and coils?

I have a window with what looks to me like a 15-191 pivot shoe and a triple 3/8" coil that has #5 35"P Patent 5232200 on the coils.

Watching your video, I was easily able to get the pivot shoe out but the triple coil piece took a lot of prying and I really don't know how I'm going to get a new one in without breaking it since the gap area is a lot smaller than the triple coil assembly. The video only shows a single coil assembly. A couple questions...do you recommend replacing the pivot shoes and coil assemblies? If so, should I do both the left and right sides? Any recommendations on how I should get the new pivot shoes and especially the triple coil assembly(ies) in?

Thank you.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for contacting us! Yes, if your sash can't stay up then you definitely want new springs. Balance springs lose their tension over the years from constant use and eventually they just can't hold up the sash weight like they used to.

You mention you have the 15-191 pivot shoe, and that your spring is 3/8" thick with a #5 stamp, so I think our S160-5 is what you want to go with. If your pivot shoe is in good condition then you can definitely reuse it; that's one of the benefits of having coil balances. 

You do, however, want to replace the springs on both sides of the window. Even if the springs on one side are in good condition, they'll be weaker than the new springs simply due to use and age. This means the new springs have to work extra hard to pick up the slack and will eventually wear out faster than they would have originally. Does that make sense?

As for taking the system out, I agree that it's not always easy. The typical method is to feed the bottom shoe in first and do your best to snake the rest into the track. If you find it exceptionally difficult to do with three springs, then you could make the cut out a little larger. Watch the video below for how we do it. Just make sure not to make it too big. 

Thank you for your response. I've attached a couple of pictures - one with the springs in the window and one with it removed as well as a couple of the pivot shoe we have. Looking at these pictures, can you tell if I am correct in thinking we need the S160-5 spring and 15-191 pivot shoe?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Spring 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Spring 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot Shoe 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot Shoe 2.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Yep, that definitely looks like the 15-191. As long as the spring is 1/2" thick then our Series 160 is a great choice.

Profile picture of Tom

You are very welcome. Please make sure and get back to us and let us know how everything works out. 

Thanks again for the help. I just ordered the parts.
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.