Window won't stay up

A home owner from Ruckersville VA says:
Hi, the spiral part will not stay up inside the tube at the top and the lower spiral part is loose. We turned the screw on the shoe and my husband says it is the "spring" inside
The company went bankrupt in 2009
The house was built by KHOV in 2007, but I don't think that matters
Please can we fix it?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8496674B-EAF3-4BBB-A9B8-7CCD9AD25C2E.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1C16D497-6888-4720-A890-120706E83FF6.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named EB2EE5CE-FBBC-479B-B83A-EF2011284B75.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi there. Yes, this is called a spiral balance, which regulates the opening and closing of the window. The videos on this page show how to remove and replace these balances, as well as how to identify the right replacement. Broadly speaking, for a tilt window you will need either a 3/8" Series 900 or 5/8" Series 600. Let us know if you have any further questions. 

A home owner from Ruckersville VA says:
The tip is blue, the length is 34 inches and the diameter of the rod is 5/8. The window weighs 25.6 pounds.
When I go to order it says the 5/8 are black or red. Please tell me what color to say it is.
Thanks
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

If the outer tube is 34" long, and 5/8" in diameter, then you need the S600-34. If the sash weighs 25.6 pounds, choose the Red Tip option. It supports a sash in the weight range of 12 through 30 pounds. 

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.