Window won't stay up

A handy person from Cherry hill , nj says:
Both feet are in the shoes, but I noticed a metal coil on top of both shoes, and both have a crease in them. Im not sure where that coil extends to, or if I need new parts. Hopefully the pictures can help identify the window.

Thank you,

Richard
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 9823CDC1-1FC6-43E0-A755-BBA142A22835.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named A4E2F401-3A4C-4AAD-A067-E863823F6636.jpeg
After watching the video on replacing the coil balance, it looks very easy. So with the window label,can I order new coils & shoes for that window ?

Thanks

Rich
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Rich. The window label unfortunately doesn't tell me what balances you have. I feel confident that we have a good match for this but I will need to see a clearer shot of the pivot shoe itself. If I can determine what the pivot shoe is, everything else should be fairly simple to line up.

Hey, sorry for the delay, I took some more pictures that hopefully will help identify the parts.

Thanks,

Rich
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 9B3EE5CF-B192-45CB-A694-C764A5224C4C.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named F832736B-BB33-40B8-9A0E-5BCCCF91855A.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 35FAD143-DD01-4053-A1E9-C20431C3E3A4.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks, Rich! Your pivot shoe looks like a match for our 15-191 which is designed to use the Series 160 coil springs. Look this part over and let me know if you had any questions. 

Thanks , looks like a match. Do I need or should I replace the coil ?
Profile picture of Tom

You would only need to replace what's broken so you can re-use your old coil springs if they are in working order.

Hey Tom, I'm going to probably order new coils, what is the average sash weight ?

This customer is quite a distance from me to go there with a scale for actually weigh it.

Sorry for so many questions for $10 worth of parts, I greatly appreciate you help & patience
Profile picture of Tom

There is no average sash weight, unfortunately. These aren't quite that simple. When dealing with the Series 160 especially, the sash could range anywhere from 6 to 60 pounds. Coil balances are also fairly precise. The only way to determine what you need is to get the stamp off the old spring or to weigh the sash. It's not feasible to guess in any case related to window balances.

Ok, I'll get a scale. Thanks
Hey Tom ,

That sash weighed in at 14.5 lbs
Please let me know the part number for that weight & I'll get them ordered.

Thank you ,

Rich
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! So, the rule of thumb is to divide the sash weight by how many springs support the window. In your case, that's two; one on each side.

I think your best bet in that case will be the S160-7 which carries 7.5 pounds per spring. That will give you 15 pounds of total support. That's half a pound over your sash weight but I don't think you'll notice the difference.

I can't thank you enough for all your help.
Rich
Profile picture of Tom

You're very welcome, Rich. Please let me know if we can be of any further assistance!

Tom,

I was successful at replacing those parts, and just wanted to thank you for all your help.

Rich
Profile picture of Tom

I'm glad to hear it! Thanks for the update and good luck on all future projects. We're always here to help if you needed it.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.