Windows are not opening properly - channel balance part needed

A home owner from Crawfordville, Florida says:

Hello:

I own a home in Crawfordville, Florida that I would like to sell and I have a problem with my windows. Your site is highly recommended by some other folks I came across on the internet so thought I would try you to help identify the issue and replace any parts that need to be replaced. I do not wish to replace the windows entirely.

In my house there are seven windows that no longer raise or lower very easily. Whenever you attempt to lift the windows they are very heavy and they do not stay in place. Obviously this is a very dangerous situation that needs to be fixed. In fact one of my neighbor's small children had their arm broken because she accidentally bumped a piece of wood that was propping up a window that had this problem in THEIR house.

Through my research on YouTube and DIY sites on the web I learned the types of windows (mine are all single pane) basic parts of windows, the operations of the windows, and how to remove the windows. I have identified that the cause of the problem is the channel balances are malfunctioning. Specifically, the cap at the top of the balances have broken and the spring wants to shoot to the top of the side of the window (is that called the sash?). Rather than replace each of the channel balances for each of the windows I would like to replace the plastic piece that has broken. I have included 5 pictures to show what is broken on the window. Overall I think I will need about 14 replacement parts for my 7 windows (two for each window) I have two types of channel balances - one has the number 25-4 and one has the number 29-4.

Can you help me identify the part that I need? Are the types of parts I need universal?

Thanks,

Eric

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named depth of window.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named measurement of broken part.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window part closeup.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 25-4 channel balance.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Eric. If the only problem with your windows is that the channel balances have shot past the window sash (the window sash technically being the term for the movable part with the glass), then you are correct in assuming you don't need to replace the balances. Top Sash Guides are meant to keep the balances in place during window operation. They tend to wear down both from age and sun exposure. These parts come in a wide variety, depending not only on the balances you have but the window itself. Judging from your pictures, I think you want to start by looking at either our 18-009 or 18-166. Compare the dimensions of both with your old guide to see what matches best. You also show pictures of a Face Guide, which helps keep the sash centered during operation. See our 67-026. Let us know if you have any questions.

A home owner from Crawfordville, Florida says:
Thanks. I did as you suggested and started by ordering #18-009 and unfortunately it was the wrong size (see pictures). I am going to roll the dice and order the other size you suggested but before I did I wanted to see if your recommendation based on a new comparison picture will change (the piece I am trying to match is the one of the right, the #18-009 is on the left).
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 64833960_1225192920992240_966814898019368960_n.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

I would not advise rolling the dice on any of our top sash guides. The 18-166 is a possibility, but it's important to compare our dimensions to yours to be sure that they are the same size. That's the only way to be sure. We have detailed dimensions on our store pages that you can use as a reference.

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.