Windows Won't Stay Up

A home owner from Andover Ma says:
Good afternoon, I purchased a second home 5 years ago. The house was built in 2004. The windows have no name on them. The only markings I can find is on the top of the window slide. It is - (03/12)UNIQUE 27 TG. I have at least 6 or 7 windows that won't stay up. I attached 4 pictures. I've looked at your videos on YouTube but I can't find a video with the type of slides that my windows have. I'm assuming the slides(probably not the correct name) are broken or the ropes have broken or both. If this looks familiar to you I'd love to know how to replace them. I look forward to hearing from you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tempImagefs5NJk.gif
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tempImageo91fCl.gif
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tempImagetx7FVa.gif
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tempImageBmwAVJ.gif
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

This looks like our S751-28 Ribbed Channel Balance. Please look over all the dimensions and specifications to ensure this matches up. Let me know if anything differs. For removal and replacement see the video below.

A home owner from Andover Ma says:

Hi Bob,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have a couple of questions. If you look at my photos below, I do not have a removable piece if trim like in your video. If I take out both upper and lower windows, will the channel balance just come out or are there screws that I can't see holding them in place? Also, the channel balance in my windows measures roughly 58 1/4 H x 3 1/2 W. Is that the measurement of the S751-28 Chanel Balance? One more question, on the windows I have that are still operational, some of them are extremely hard to move up and down. Is there anything I can do to correct that?

Thanks,

Chip

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named webcam-7/19/2021, 1:55:41 PM.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named webcam-7/19/2021, 1:56:20 PM.png
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Perhaps I can assist you. First, remove the window stops located at the top and bottom of the tracks. Now remove the top and bottom sash, and then the vinyl window jamb liners. The jamb liners are held in place by the pressure the sashes. Just carefully pull on the jamb liners to remove them. Note that you might have to cut away any paint that might be holding the liners in. After you remove the jamb liners, you will see the balance is held in place by an s-hook at the top--either our 19-029 or 19-030. Slide the balance up and out of the liners. Reverse the process to install new balances. The length of the metal channel gives us the size you want your Series 751 to be. We typically expect that the stamp number 27TG would be on a 28" balance. If other windows are hard to operate, the new balances will help. Your balances are old, the Unique balance company closed before the new century. Let us know if you have any further questions. 

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.