Need New Spiral Balances

A home owner from Columbus OH says:
We have 3 Acorn windows installed in 1996 that are misbehaving. The sash on windows A & B won't stay open. The sash on window C is difficult to open and close but once open it stays in place. My apologies in advance if my terminology isn't exactly correct as I'm new to window repair.
I've checked the shoes on all 3 windows and have found them to be engaged with the foot of the sash on both sides. I believe my issue with windows A & B are the balance springs. The spiral metal piece that goes up in the tube has come loose from inside the tube on one or both sides of the window. For window C, I can see that the right-side balance spring is no longer attached at the top of the window. When the sash is tilted in, it falls out from the track of the window. Ive included pictures of Window C for reference.
The measurements of A & B from top to bottom are 33.25 x 57 inches. The sash alone measures approx. 32.5 x 29.75 inches.
The measurement of C from top to bottom is 30 x 44.5 inches. The sash alone measures approx 28.25 x 23 inches.

Given this information, would there be a way to locate balance springs to replace the ones that seem to have gone bad?

Thank you!
Joanie
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting, Joanie. Looks like this is a tilt window in need of new spiral balances. We can definitely help with this, but I am afraid the most reliable way to determine the spiral balances you need is to remove them from the window. We'll need the length and diameter of the outer tube, up to and not included the color tip. We also need a picture of that color tip. From there, we should be able to narrow this down. The video below demonstrates how to remove and replace these balances. 

Thank you for your reply. The spiral balances in windows A and B are 28 inches in length from top to end of the tube. The tube is 0.40 inches in diameter. There isn't a color tip remaining on this balance. The spiral balance in window C is 23 inches in length from top to end and 0.40 inches in diameter. Window C'a balance has a red tip.
I have included some additional picture which I hope will be helpful. We would need to purchase the tension tool too if you're able to locate the parts we need. Thanks again for your help with this.
Joanie
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D445E315-09FE-4FDE-8E0F-DED21A811496.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C8445312-64CC-4E49-ACD9-B72AE283F5AB.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 54A5E685-ED85-4D70-873B-DB01374BBDCB.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to me Joanie. These tilt-window spiral balances are either 3/8" or 5/8" in diameter. Since you're telling me yours are .4" in diameter, I am going to assume 3/8" is what you need, but I'd double-check this just to be safe. If so, then you need Series 900 Spiral Balances. For balances that are 29" long, up to and not included the tip, see our S900-29; for the 23" balance, see our S900-23

For the balances that don't have colored tips, you will need to get the exact weight of the window sashes that they support. This can be done by placing the sash on a bathroom scale. On every balance shop page there's a chart that shows what weight range each color tip option is meant to support, so you can use that exact sash weight to determine the color tip you should choose. Lastly, for a charging tool, see our 75-006. Let me know if you have any questions Joanie, hope this helps.

Thank you again! I've ordered the parts. Looking forward to their arrival. Fingers crossed this solves out window woes. :)
Profile picture of Bob

I certainly hope so too! Let us know how you make out, and thanks a lot for your business, we appreciate it.

Profile picture of Bob

In a very busy season, this was really nice and heartwarming to read. Thanks so much for taking the time to let me know everything worked out. I'm very glad we could indeed help you save a non-trivial amount of money. Please let us know if you ever have any questions. We'll be here to help. 

Our window woes are NO MORE!! :) Parts arrived yesterday, and I was able to get to installing them this afternoon. Install was a piece of cake and our windows are functioning like new again!! Thank you SO much for your help! We thought for sure we were going to need to replace these three windows. You saved us hundreds of dollars! Thank you!!
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.