Wool Pile without center fin?

A handy person from Connecticut says:
I have installed your wool pile 58-022 size 9/32 x 9/32 in my double hung windows. While the windows open and close, they are tight. Tight to the point where they will stay in any position without the use of a window balance. I believe the 9/32 x 9/32 is too big and is the cause of the tightness.

I see that you have a wool pile 58-045 size 9/32 x 1/4 but includes a center fin. I think the center fin would work on the horizontal tracks but not on the vertical tracks, could be wrong, but I believe this size would eliminate the tightness if not for the center fin. So my question is the 9/32 x 1/4 available without the center fin, and what is your take on the center fin on the vertical tracks?

Thanks
Isadore
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! This has actually happened to me a few times. You're right, the fin seal does add a bit of friction to window operator. Unfortunately, the closest wool pile we have to the 58-045 that does not have a fin seal is our 58-099, which is a bit taller.

What I have done in these situations is to give the wool pile a "shave." You can use a single edge razor blade or a paint scraper like our 75-046 and then run it down the length of the wool pile, cutting down the height.

You should also try some silicone spray for lubrication. This will help whether you decide to switch or shave the wool pile.
How to replace wool pile weatherstripping
How to replace wool pile weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Insert and Remove the HYDE Razor Scraper Blades
How to Insert and Remove the HYDE Razor Scraper Blades
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.