Would you know

A quick learner from Naples says:

I have a 80's Florida Condo that I recently bought. There are still the old awning windows that I already successfully replaced some parts with your help. There is one window that does not want to open as far as the others, and I'm wondering if I need a new crank?

KELLER WINDOW CRANK

Product Code: 39-060

I cant really see how everything attaches on the sides, I'm assuming there is a metal bar that moves everything up and down. Would you be able to help guide me in the right direction please. Thank you for your time,

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. The installation of operators like the 39-060 may seem complex at first, but it's fairly straight forward. First you must open the window, unscrew the base from the window frame, then disconnect the arm from the linkage. 

That last step is the trickiest, since the way they're held in place varies a huge amount from window to window. Sometimes they just snap in, sometimes they screw on, sometimes they're riveted permanently in place, and so on. You will have to kind of mess with it to determine what your situation is and act accordingly.

Once the operator is fully out of the window, you can compare the dimensions we show on the 39-060 store page to your part to confirm that it's the right match.

I guess part of the question was also if a bad operator can be the reason that the windows dont open all the way up. Thank you again,

Christa
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

The operator is one possible explanation, yes, but it could also be the linkage, which you could also call the hinge system. One way to check is to remove the operator and try opening the window by hand to see if it still hangs up at the same spot. While the operator is off the window, try turning the handle to see if you get any resistance. 

Thank you so much. You have been most helpful.
How to Replace an Awning Window Operator [1080p]
How to Replace an Awning Window Operator [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.