Wrong Strength - how to choose?

A quick learner from California says:
I recently ordered four 12" series 385 channel balances and chose option 1110. The balances fit, but the window hangs low. Did I choose the wrong strength? Can you recommend the correct strength? It's a wide window -- somewhere in the range of 80 - 90" wide, and perhaps 24" tall.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Yes, it sounds like 1110 is too weak for your window sashes. What was the number printed on your old balances? If you aren't sure, or if you don't seen anything, then you will need to weigh your sash to determine the proper option.
A quick learner from California says:
I'm surprised to learn that this is not a standard option -- ours re Milgard windows, so I would expect balances for them to be standard.

My weighing of the sash could very well be imperfect. I simply placed it on a (non-digital) bathroom scale to estimate the weight. What if they weigh more or less than my estimated 13 lbs.?.0"
Profile picture of Paul
It's only custom because of the weight of the sash. It's a little heavier than what is typical for your size balance, which is fairly small. If 13 pounds is just an estimate, I would highly recommend reweighing and getting a more exact weight. If the balance is too weak, your windows won't stay up as well, if at all. If the balance is too strong, you'll find that they drift up, and you will have trouble closing them.

Also, what is the stamp printed on your old balance? That would give us a good clue as to what you may need.
A quick learner from la ca says:
Re-weighed and the dial falls directly between 12 & 13 lbs. Photos of balances from the other windows in the set attached.
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Perfect, thanks. I'm thinking you should go with the 1150 option, then. Two balances with this option can carry a sash weight range of 12 through 15 pounds.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.