Your SWISCO Order 891045 Confirmation *** Casement operator

A home owner from Middletown, NJ says:
I tried to install my recent purchase, casement operator (39-188) to fix an existing operator problem with my casement windows. The operator installed with no issue, but does not allow the casement window to close fully. It stops about one to two inches shy of being able close completely. Naturally I need the windows close completely and lock.

Attached are photos of my old existing operator, when compared to the new operators I recently received.

Did I order in incorrect operator? Should I have ordered part # 39-090 instead ?

Also I noticed the total length of the split arm on my old operator is about 7 1/8 inches.

The new casement operator (39-188) has a split arm that is about 7 3/4 inches in total length. Does the split arm simply need to be cut down to a smaller length to work correctly?

Thanks for your help.
Regards, Roger.
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. There are three things I note about your old operator. The first is that the gear arm does share the same design as the 39-090, not the 39-188. It's a subtle difference, but basically the 39-090 gear arm has a "Z" shape while the 39-188 has a "W" shape.

The second is that your gear arm also has an offset, while the 39-090 does not. I don't know if this will affect the function. Did you find the 39-188 installed fine despite there being no offset? If so, then we can ignore it for now.

The third is the size of the link arm. Yours is far shorter than either that come with our 39-090 and 39-188. You would need to drill off both arms, and then swap them. You can install the old arm on the new operator with our 62-014 rivet.
A home owner from NJ says:
Thanks for your response and the additional information.

Yes the 39-188 installed fine despite there being no offset.

Should I return the 39-188 casement operators I have and replace them with part # 39-090?

When you say drill off the arms from both the old and new operator arms can you please clarify. Is it at the point of the split arm joined be the rivet? Then simply replace the drilled out rivet with the indicated 62-014 rivets? Also is there a recommended drill bit size to accomplish this process?

Just want to make sure how to preform the "drill out" process.
Thanks.

Regards, Roger.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Yes, you would drill out the rivet connecting the gear arm to the link arm. You could use a good, sharp 3/16" drill bit. What I normally do is to grind off the rivet with a bench grinder. Take note to mark which way the arms relate to each other. I then lay the arms with the rivet on top of a flat piece of steel and use a hammer to pin the new rivet in place.
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.