balance hook got detached, can't remove window sash

A home owner from California says:
Hi, have a Milgard single hung window where on one side, the hook of the balance got detached from its slot inside the window jamb. Found this out when one day, we couldn't slide the window sash up anymore to open it. I had to use a small pry bar from the bottom to get the window to crack open a little bit. Then I could slide the sash up fairly easily. But after sliding it down to close, it can't be opened easily and have to use the pry bar to open it again.

I want to replace the balances so I know I need to get the sash out first. I've done this once myself awhile ago on another window and I've seen a bunch of videos how to do it so I'm familiar with how it should work. I popped out the take-out clips inside the window jamb, but when I lift the sash up, I cannot lift it up past the clips to get the sash out. I know it normally shouldn't be so hard but the sash doesn't budge after a certain point (probably where the balance that's still attached on one side is getting caught on the clip). If I push the take-out clips back in, then I can easily raise the sash up fine.

With the hook of a balance on one side detached, is it that I just have to use a lot more force than normal (or find a stronger person or have multiple people try to raise it at the same time) to push the window sash up so I can get it out? I would expect that on one side, the balance whose hook is still attached should get caught on the take-out clip and on the other side, the balance that got detached should fall out from the bottom of the sash as it's raised.

Attaching some pictures (all with the window closed) that show:

1. Inside the window jamb on one side where the balance hook is still attached to the square slot inside the jamb.
2. Inside the window jamb on the other side where the balance hook is not attached anymore to the square slot.
3. Overall window (probably not very useful)

By the way, I have about 15 other similar windows in the house. In the past few years, a couple of them have had problems that required the balances to be replaced. I paid about $150 each time to get them fixed. They're at least 15 years old since I moved in and probably older as I have no idea when the previous owner(s) had them installed or replaced them. So I'm thinking to get them all replaced now (probably they are past they're expected lifespan?) and hope I can do the job myself to save on costs. After I get one of these balances out to get measurements and take some pictures of it, I'll follow-up here to find out what Swisco replacement I need. Thanks.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Besides the balance clip unhooking from the the window channel, it's possible your top sash guide has have broken. See our video to give you a better idea of what the problem might be.

If even that doesn't work, consider using screws as a temporary take out measure. If you install two screws that stick out slightly on either side of the window, they will act the same way take out clips do. Once the sash is out and the balances replaced, you can just remove them from the window.
Thanks for the reply. However, I don't think it really addressed my issue. It seems there is no problem with the top sash guides as I have no issue with the balance shooting past the window sash like seen in the video. I can move the sash up and down fine and never see the balance exposed on either side.

Also, I don't understand using the screws as a take out measure. My take-out clips are still intact and I can pop them out fine on both sides. It seems this temporary measure is for if one is missing the take-out clips? But I don't have this issue so not sure why it was suggested.
Also, I had mentioned the following in an earlier reply (before Paul's response, but somehow that reply is missing from this discussion now. Anyways, I had mentioned that I tried popping out only the take-out clip on the side that still has the balance attached to its slot in the window jamb. And on the other side where the balance hook is not attached anymore, I did not pop out the take-out clip. But still I cannot raise the sash past the take-out clip positions. Again, if I don't pop out the take-out clips at all on both sides, then the sash can be moved up and down fine.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see what you mean. If I understand correctly, one balance is intact and the other is unhooked and loose while riding with the sash. If so, pop out both top take out clips raise the sash past the take out clips so the good balance detaches, push the sash toward it and the loose balance should fall down from the sash. Once you can remove the sash, you can re-attach the loose balance and it should be working properly.
Yes, you're understanding the issue is right. However, I still was not able to raise the sash past the take-out clips. I ended up getting a handyman to take a look and he was able to raise the sash past the clips and take it out as normal. I guess a lot more force was simply needed to do this and he was stronger than I to do this. Both balances remained caught on the clips and the one that had gotten unhooked did not fall down as I guess it got tightly held by the clip.

Anyways, I've examined the balances and identified the kind I need (series 385) so will be ordering these once they are back in stock.
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.