what kind of balance shoe do i have?

A home owner from vermont says:
I have windows made by Bonneville windows out of Canada.

I have included a picture of the balance shoe. The one on the left is the broken one. The one on the right looks like your 15-111 shoe. As you can see the broken one is 1&1/4 in by 1 &1/4 by 1/2. the spring mechanism clips into the broken one. I have tried to use the 15-111 in its place but there is no place to attach the clip.

Hope you can help

Fred
User submitted a photo of pivot shoes.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Fred. The broken shoe looks a lot like our 15-105. Do you agree?

Also, are these two shoes in the same window? The 15-111 is used for coil balances, while the 15-105 is used for a type of channel balance. They should not be sharing the same window.
A quick learner from vermont says:
Your reference number is D31610.

Hi Tom,

The 15-111 is an exact match, even has the Patent # as in your photo. Each window has 2 15-111 on the outer slider window. the inner window has the spring coil that hooks in. arangement and now I notice another of the windows also has a broken 15-105

My only concern is where as the 15-111 is an exact match the 15-105 needs that extra clip and is thinner then my original. the thickness of the peices that I have are both 1/2 in. My original is also one peice, no add on clip.

Do you make these items? If not maybe you or I could contact the the people who do. I would be wlling to try one of your products like the 105 I am just not sure it will work.

I have included a picture of a working unit

Let me know

Fred
A customer submitted image of their balance shoe.
Profile picture of Tom
I'm still a little confused. Is the shoe pictured on the left of the image used in a different window than the 15-111, or are they used in the same window?

If they're for two different windows, then there's no need to compare your broken shoe to the 15-111 at all. They're two totally different pieces of hardware used for two different types of balances. For now, let's concentrate on just the 15-105.

You say that your shoe has an extra clip. Is that the little metal piece I see sticking out of the housing? I'm not sure how much of a difference that will make. I haven't seen that before. Does that metal clip serve a function as far as you can see?

As for the difference in thickness, our 15-105 is 17/32" thick. You said before that your shoe is 1/2", which isn't very far away. Can you confirm that measurement? Make sure to get as exact a measurement as possible. As you can see, these dimensions can get into the 1/32".
A home owner from jericho vt says:
Hi Tom

So let me give you a little more info. The window is a "double Hung" window. There are 2 panes of insulated glass, upper and lower and each can be removed for cleaning.I hope i am using the coerrect terms. The upper or outside pane rides up and down in its track seated in the 15-111 shoe,there is no block and tackle. The inner pane rides in it's track but but sits in the shoe that is broken. It is assisted by the block and tackle and is attatched by the clip as in my second pix.

Not only is the shoe broken in half as you can see but the place where you clip in the rope from the block and tackle is broken off.

To answer your question my shoe does not have an extra clip, that peice of metal is the clip that goes to the block and tackle.

As for the size, as i said the 15-111 is an exact replacement and is 1/2" deep. The broken shoe is also 1/2" deep. Your 15-105 is 17/32" and needs that extra clip(15-056)if I were to use it. My original is one peice.

Profile picture of Tom
It appears that the 15-105 is the closest possible match we have. Like I said, 17/32" is only 1/32" off from 1/2". Now, I can't guarantee that it will work, but I think you should double check your measurements just to make sure it's not closer to 17/32".
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.