balancers for 2003-3ra Milgard single sash windows

A quick learner from Seattle, WA says:
I am helping my daughter replace some worn out Milgard window balancers. I've purchased from you before to replace others, but was feeling a bit unsure of the stamped code on this one. I'll be buying a pair, or maybe 2 pair.

The metal channel is 1/2" wide and measures 30 inches. I think I need the Model 30" 385 Series, I think for 40lbs, per the number 4 stamped on the original part (for 40lbs) #2940. Am I correct?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6058.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6060.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6059.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6056.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6057.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting! The Series may very well be our Series 385, but you should check the depth of the shoe to confirm that it's the same 1-3/32". 

As for the stamp option, 2940 indicates a sash weight of 23 through 28 pounds, as indicated on the S385-30 store page. Are you saying you weighed your sash and got 40 pounds? If so, that means you want the 2870 instead, which carries 39 through 42 pounds. 

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I did not have a chance to remove the sash and weigh it. It's at my daughter's home and the balancer had dropped out of it, so I was hoping the stamped code would be enough. But, I will be there this Thursday morning and could see if I can pull it and weigh it while I'm there.

I was guessing that the number "4" stamped on the one that needs replacing indicated 40lbs. But, no?

Thanks,

trip
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for clarifying, I understand now. No, the last digit in the stamp is not a direct indication of sash weight, so odds are it is not 40 pounds. This last digit is just a sequential indicator of weight ranges, from weakest to strongest. We have a chart on the S385-30 store page that tells you exactly how much weight each option supports. If you haven't reviewed that chart then I recommend that you do so.

Your original stamp of 29-4 is a match for our 2940, which you'll see is only designed to carry 23 through 28 pounds. If the sash was 40 pounds then the window would probably slam close the second after you open it.

Okay, thanks for further insight. I'll be sure to weight that sash tomorrow before placing an order.

Thanks!
Okay, I weighed it at 22.5lbs. Which model best?

Also, with the sash out, I found a damaged plastic guide/glide on the corner of the frame. Photos attached. It's 5/8" wide and about 1 1/8" long. Is that part replaceable?

One photo shows the side that has a intact part. The others where the part was damaged.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6155.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 67618DFC-73EC-4E90-A799-2F7D87C78086.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named AB8AF5D8-9AC2-46DB-A9A6-66D81F977EDF.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for checking. So if your sash is 22.5 pounds then you might want to consider the 2930 option, which carries 16 through 23 pounds. The choice is ultimately yours, though; if 29-4 has been working fine all these years then you may want to just stick with that. If you always found the windows to be a bit too hard to close, though, then going with the weaker 2230 would be the better option.

The guide you show here could have a few different replacement options. The first thing to check is our 18-188, which is the same width as your original at 5/8", but I'm not sure about the other dimensions (which you can see on its store page). There are a lot and they're all sorta equally important so you definitely want to look them over.

The second option is our 18-009. This may be the better choice, but you'll note that it has a top edge that sticks out a little further. If the dimensions match, and I think they will, then you can still use this but you have to trim that top edge down with sandpaper or a utility razor. 

Very helpful. I've loaded up my shopping cart, but have a couple more questions.

So, the 2930 will be easier closing, but will it being "weaker", does that pose any issue any issue with its ability to stay in an opened position?

Thanks again.
Profile picture of Tom

Yes, that is my concern. Your sash weight technically falls in the 2930 range so you should be okay, but since the 29-4 has worked perfectly well so far I sort of don't want to mess with success. There is a risk that the 2930 will be too weak, yes, but on the same hand there is a risk that the 2940 will be too strong.

Of course there is an equal chance that both options will work just fine and there's nothing to be concerned about. I just want to make you aware of the different possibilities you may encounter.

Looking back at my order history, I see I replaced balancer in two of their other same-sized 30" windows, with 2940. They are pretty difficult to close, so I think I'll order the 2930 for this one and see if it's better.

The ones I replaced with the 2940 seem difficult sliding up or down. Feels like a lot of friction. It there a recommended lubricant for that? Plastic-safe spray silicone? Beeswax? Other?

Thanks again!
Profile picture of Tom

Gotcha, that makes a lot of sense. As far as lubrication I would recommend some silicone spray in the track and white grease for the spring itself.

Never thought about need for grease on the spring. Make sense. I'll get the white lithium out and try it.

Thank for the help!
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.