Question about Ball Catch

A quick learner from Charlottesville says:
Does the center part with the ball screw out. My ball catch ball has popped out and won't stay in. The part that holds the ball screws out of a liner that has been sunken into the top of the door. I need the replacement that screws back into the liner. Of course I am glad to buy the unit.
The sunken liner may be impossible to remove to put in a nice new ball catch.
I can send pictures if you don't quite understand
Thanks
Peggy
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Peggy. I believe we can help, but if you could send some photos just to confirm exactly what you're working with that would be of great assistance. We'll proceed from there. 

Does this picture make sense? It is the internal ball catch that goes in a sleeve that has been drilled into the top of the door. It will be impossible to get the sleeve out without damaging the door. I just need the internal parts. Currently I can put it back together but the ball just keeps popping out every time I open the door. If you need other pictures, please let me know.
Thank you,
Peggy
ball catch
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for the pictures. I believe you need our 10-057 ball catch. Normally, you don't need to unscrew the ball and spring from the housing. Try removing the old housing and installing the new ball catch as a complete unit, and be sure to take measurements and verify that our part matches yours. Let me know what you discover.

The housing is in there firmly. I'm afraid I would damage the door taking it out.
The ball just keeps popping out. I think it's worth a try to order two of the ball catches. If you have any suggestions to how to take out the housing, I would appreciate it. Thank you.
Peggy
Profile picture of Tom

Peggy, the rim might be painted into the door. If that is the case, you'll have to carefully cut around the perimeter of the housing with a utility knife. Then, use a flat putty knife try to lift it from its rim. Let us know if that works for you. 

A quick learner from Charlottesville Virginia says:
Thank you all! The 10-057 worked and I replaced the entire system with a little encouragement from you. Now my laundry room doors close.
A quick learner from Flourtown, PA says:
I also have a ball catch that is broken. The collar ring that holds the spring and ball in the door has failed, allowing the ball to come out of the door.

I have been unable to identify the brand I need, but yours looks close. Can you tell from these pictures if this is a Swisco part?

Thanks,
Ross
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0576.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0574.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0573.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2245.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Hello, Ross. I'm afraid that I can't verify from your photos whether our product will work for you or not. Your next step should be to review the dimensions we show on the 10-057 store page to see how well they align with your original part.

A home owner from Pennsylvania says:
For those who come after me ...
I was able to replace my ball catch in my daughter's closet doors with the 10-057. The portion that had failed was the threaded neck that adjusted in/out of the collar. The 10-057's threaded neck did not fit into the existing collar (or housing) because the threads are not the same, but I was able to pull out the entire housing from the closet door and replace it with the housing, threaded adjustable neck, spring and ball. No need to replace the strike plate. It was a *little* tight putting in the 10-057 housing but it shouldn't be loose, so that's good! Pictures attached in case your failed part looks like mine (in blue). 10-057 is shown in red. Thanks Swissco!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6751.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6752.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6755.jpg
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.