block and tackle

A quick learner from North Carolina says:
I have rentals here in NC and one house has new construction windows unlike I've seen where one cannot install a replacement window (and replacing the new construction means notable vinyl siding mods). Seems like ... other than the broken window which I will take to a glazier ... I may be able to get away with replacing the block and tackle balance kits. I measured and current are 5/8 x 5/8 which seems pretty common. 2 questions:

1. Can I assume I need not worry about specifics (ie: brand) of current balance so long as I replace the entire B&T balance

2. Windows are pretty standard vinyl and 26.5 wide and 52 long (measured from the inside ... so no inclusion of nailing flange). Any suggestions on length/model of balance?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! No, you don't typically need to worry about brand when it comes to block and tackle balances. Most windows use generic hardware. However, that doesn't necessarily mean there is a standard or universal type. While windows use generic hardware, it's still very specific, precisely chosen generic hardware. In order to identify what you have, we will need to see pictures of your balance to start out. Once we have a general idea of what you have, we will then ask for more specific information, possibly including more pictures.
A quick learner from North Carolina says:
Thanks for your response. Here are 2 pictures (I swear I took more, but this is all that was in my phone). The "body" is 26" (makes sense since window is 52 high/long. Pic is of bottom and of inside the body (quite sure my terminology is off). What I did not find in pics is that the top is (not surprisingly) a small bar across where the spring attaches, and the gray pulley in the pic attaches to the other end of the spring. At this point, manually trying to move the pulley is quite difficult, and it appears that the top of the pulley is cracked anyway. Also the foot (I did look up these terms but it's approaching 11 and it's been a long day) that catches the window piece is hard to move. Thanks again.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! Take a look at our S775-26 channel balance, I think this could be what you need. To remove your stuck balance shoe, place a slot screwdriver in the bottom "U" shape part in the shoe and twist it to release it. You'll need the stamp printed on the original balance and the width of the shoe when ordering.
How to install a S775 balance
How to install a S775 balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.