broken balance shoe on block and tackle balance for vinyl tilt double hung sash

A home owner from Eau Claire, Wisconsin says:

The window manufacturer Jen-Weld directed me to your website, as this is a 2002 window they no longer carry parts for (the window is series 9980/9980P).

The balance shoe is 1" wide. Will any 1" wide balance shoe from your series 850 balance work? Every time I measure the balance (from the bottom of the shoe to the top of the plastic piece), it comes out to 28.5" long, which doesn't match the sizes on your site for replacing the entire balance. The sash which this balance supports is 26" wide x 31.5" wide (measuring from the outsides of the vinyl frame).

My preference is to replace just the shoe, if that's possible. I don't own a wide variety of tools, and even I could put the balance back together if I had a new shoe. :)

THANKS! for your help,

Elizabeth

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid that the Series 850 is discontinued. Manufacturers are phasing this style out, so our inventory is limited. Fortunately, we provide a more modern balance that works just as well as a replacement. Converting it can be a little tricky, though. We have a handy tutorial video that walks you through the process step by step. Let me know if this helps.

Thank you! It was very helpful; I've placed my order.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you! We greatly appreciate it. Please let us know how it works out, or if you have any further questions.

It worked! The video was exceptionally helpful, though we still had a lot of difficulty (20 minutes?) of frustration with the step where you put the sash back in. The channel balances went in fine, but getting the sash with its new pivot bars INTO the shoes was an absolute beast. Your guy in the video seems to shimmy them in effortlessly with nothing more than a push - maybe flesh out a description or closeup photo of how this was miraculously achieved? ;) Just a suggestion.

Many thanks for your help - it's nice having a window that closes again in Wisconin!

-Elizabeth
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.