broken plastic side locking plate

A quick learner from Bozeman, Montana says:

It's about 3" long with a screw at both top and bottom and about a 2" long opening for part of the casement window

Many of these pieces are cracked in our office building. Only the ones that are broken have slightly obstructed the closing and thus caused people to turn the cranks (Milgard 39-253) and strip the gear.

We have two problems

1. Finding replacements for the broken parts described above

and more importantly

2. Figuring how to remove the old operators and disassemble the outermost piece of the 3 piece assembly. It is held in place by a tiny retaining clip. If that can be accomplished, a remaining problem is that the replacement part obtained from Swisco does not have a place to hold a retainer clip.

User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for contacting us! Looks like you need a lock bar guide. Take a look at our 39-265 and let me know if this would work as a replacement. Our dimensions are a little bigger than what you described, but they may still work as long as the hole spacing is the same.

I'm not sure I understand your second question. The 39-253 just screws to the frame, from what I remember. Where exactly are you running into issues? Can you show me pictures of the specific problem?

A quick learner from Bozeman, Montana says:
The second question turned out to be just a problem of the tiny size retainer clip. At first, from our viewpoint we did not realize there was a retainer clip; it looked like the mechanism could not come apart and at the same time it seemed it would be virtually impossible to install, because the assembled arm blocked access to some of the screw holes.

At the local large lumber yard company which carries some Milgard fixtures, it took two guys about 15 minutes to figure out how to safely remove the tiny clip (and not lose it). Technique is to insert a screw driver into the opening of the clip and carefully TWIST the screwdriver. Not much room to do so, but it worked. After that we were able to complete the replacements.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Awesome! I'm glad you were able to figure it out. Thank you for the update and tips. If you ever had future questions, please let us know and we'd be happy to help as best as we can.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.