bugs and screens

A home owner from VT says:
At night with the lights on we're sometimes getting inundated. Can't tell if the little buggers are smaller than the screen openings or they're finding they're way in through the bottom "brush" attachment or slight gaps in the corners. Any ideas?
Thank you,
Dave
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

There could be any number of explanations for how bugs are getting in through your screens, but I always recommend checking the weatherstripping first. That would be the brush attachment you mention, though there might be more along the sides of the screen, too. Check its current state and see if it's deteriorating in any way. Even a small gap would be enough to let bugs sneak in.

If the brush is in good condition then your next step is to make sure there are no holes in the mesh itself. Again, even the smallest hole is enough. Don't take any gap for granted.

Finally, if all seems as it should be, then check to make sure the screen is square in the frame. Sometimes when older houses settle, the frame can be come slightly skewed, which can cause the screen to shift from side to side ever so slightly.

A home owner from VT says:
Many thanks for a thorough response, Tom. I've got things to check out and work on!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Sounds good! I'm here if you had any other questions.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.