cannot open windows; opening mechanisms not working

A home owner from Atlanta, GA says:
Windows installed new 2003. No identifying marks. If you need more photos let me know. Sorry photos uploaded side ways!If have parts, I have
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9179.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9181.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9182.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! If your windows won't open, then there could be a few issues at work. There could be an obstruction in the side jamb tracks that's preventing the pivot shoe (shown in your second picture) from sliding up. I would carefully look over the track to see if anything is getting in the way.

My first instinct is to say to replace the balances, but if they were broken then you would still be able to open the window, it'd just flop back down the second you let go of it. A window not being able to open at all definitely sounds like there's an obstruction somewhere in the side tracks.

Get back to me and let me know if you find something!

I think I need to further explain. The problems began when the lower window was opened into its tilted position for cleaning purposes and when the window was returned to its upright position, the window would not engage properly in the track. The result would be a difficulty in raising and lowering the window to the point eventually that the window would neither go up or down. Thought WD40 would be the answer but to no avail. Do I need to remove the covering over the track to evaluate further?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

The pivot shoe looks damaged, specifically where the terminal clip on your Series 770 balance cord attaches. It looks like that piece is bent. Another reason might be the metal center cam in the pivot shoe is stuck; when this cam is turned, such as when you tilt the sash, little bumpers on either side of the shoe flare out and "lock" it in place. If the cam isn't turning properly after you reinstalled the sash, those bumpers could still be extended. 

Either way, it sounds like it's an issue with the pivot shoe. I would try to remove your sash and experiment with it to see exactly how it may be broken.

Paul, Thanks for your evaluation. My question to you is can the mechanism that raises and shuts the windows be removed and replaced with new parts? If so, do you have the parts for this window? I have a a handyman who can do the work. I am trying to be frugal in this matter since replacing the entire window is a costly expense. I live in a townhouse community and the Hot requires that the windows be replaced with similar windows that I have found to be hard to locate. I have four windows that require fixing.

I will await your answer. Thanks for your help! Tony Frilingos
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Sure, the pivot shoe can absolutely be replaced. It's just a matter of trying to get your sash off. If you can remove your sash, then you can remove the pivot shoe no problem. 

Replacing the entire window is not at all necessary.

As for how to remove your sash, that's something I'm afraid that I cannot answer. My hypothesis that your shoe is the reason your sash can't be opened is just a hypothesis. Even if I'm right, the kind of damage I'm talking about would be unique and there's not going to be a tried and true way to deal with it. You'll likely have to improvise. I would definitely have your handyman take a look and see if he would be able to remove the sash so that you can get at that pivot shoe.

In the meantime, you may find the videos below helpful.

How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.