can't find channel balance Series 385 option

A home owner says:
Hi,

I have a 15 inch channel balance which needs to be replaced (stamped 14 5). I measured the shoe and it is a 15-004, which corresponds to your series 385 balance based on my balance top. When I looked at your options for the series 385 however, I cannot find the 1450 option. Can you suggest which balance I should use?

I noticed that your series 380 has a 14 5 option, but the shoe is 15-005. Would this work for my situation?

Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! This is an interesting question. We always recommend that customers stick with the hardware that was installed originally; if your old hardware matches our Series 385 channel balances, then you should go with the Series 385 channel balances.

Now, at this point, we can custom-make your balance to accommodate your stamp, but I think it would be best if we confirm that weight of your window sash before we take that step. Can you please tell me the weight of the sash? You can find this out by taking it out of the window and placing it on a scale. Let me know, and we can determine what best option to use from there.
A home owner says:
OK, I weighed the sash and it is 9.3 pounds.

I'm also curious as to the meaning of the entire stamp on the channel balance. It is from a Milgard window and the full stamp is 14 5 CW CMC 9. Any idea on the meaning of the additional characters?

Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! In that case, I recommend that you go with the 1420 stamp option. This will carry a window sash weight of 6 through 10 pounds.

Please keep in mind that the weight range information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.

As for the other stamp content, it's mostly just manufacturing information. However, I'd imagine that the 9 at the end denotes your sash weight.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.