can't get unit to stay locked

A quick learner from Kelowna, BC, Canada says:
Hi, I have installed this unit. However, the key can only be removed in one orientation (straight up). To lock the door, you have to rotate the key clockwise to move the mechanism. The latch will then connect and the door is locked but I can't remove the key. So then I have to rotate the key counterclockwise until it is straight up again. Then I can remove the key but the door is no longer locked. What am I missing here?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Can you show us this unit that you've installed? It's hard to visualize the description you're giving.
A quick learner from Kelowna, BC, Canada says:
Hi Sorry, its product code 82-306 Keyed Exterior sliding door pull. I only seem to be able to remove the key when the key is straight up. If I rotate the key to move the latch to the locked position, i cannot remove the key. I have to move the key back to the unlocked position.

I must be doing something wrong.

Mike
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I do hear this from time to time. You will have to reset the cylinder in the proper position. Try reinstalling the key by turning it so it will be in another sequence or direction. I think if you were to install the key cylinder in the upright position, and the latch in the locked position, that could help. Also look at our videos on the right side of this page, they may help.
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install a key lock in the 82-306 Keyed Exterior Sliding Door Pull
How to install a key lock in the 82-306 Keyed Exterior Sliding Door Pull
GUIDE
READ >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.